Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If you were raised a certain religion...

Poll

Question: Have you ever questioned your faith?

Options:

Yes - I researched other faiths and came to the conclusion I would not convert

Yes, I researched other faiths and converted to another religion or became atheist..

No, I was raised in XX religion and have never questioned my faith.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 338

View Results

If your parents raised you in a certain religion from birth, did you ever question your religion? Have you ever researched other religions to decide if what you believe is only because your parents believe it, or if its truly your decision to believe?

I got into an argument over some parents choosing not to raise children in any faith. They are arguing that because Paganism is inherently more diverse and accepting that we don't have the same issues of forcing religion on kids with indoctrination from the cradle that other religions do.

I disagree and believe in waiting for children to become of an age where they have the critical thinking skills necessary to decide on their own.

EDIT: For all those who find it difficult to vote, please know I like to hear your story. But for the purposes of this poll, All I want to know is if you've researched and A. Changed your mind or B. Researched and did not change your mind. or C, Did not research at all.

It doesn't matter what you became for my poll. You an include that info in your post, but for the poll the above is all I wish to know. Vote for what fits best to you.

by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 9:54 AM
Replies (181-190):
K9LEOWifeMomto4
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 2:54 AM

Start of my dislike came when I was 16 and the pastor's daughter called me a bitch IN church! Second came with the next pastor (when I was going through my divorce) who went on and on one Sunday about the injustices of the divorced father who doesn't have custody of his children. She didn't have anything nice or supportive to say to the mother doing it all with the kids with no help or support from kids' father. I quit going regularly after that. I still haven't found the right religion/church home some ten years later.

Quoting squeekers:

born into Methodism, raised and confirmed Methodism. dd got yelled at and called an "idiot" by Methodist preacher. ended faith. Seven years later became a Humanist.

DejaVooDoo
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 3:50 AM

I was raised as a Christian (Church of England) within a joint religion house. My Mother was brought up Jewish, but still respected her own upbringing while being a Christian herself. My Father was the one through the C of E. 

I "abandoned" christianity at 19 and have never "really" found another religion or denomination that suits my thought processes. I am pretty much Agnostic, but have leanings towards Universalism and Pantheism as well. And even then, that still doesn't quite fit.

Cambriagurlmom
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 6:37 AM

I wasn't raised in one religon.  From birth til 4 I was catholic (and my grandparent still are extremely active members) From 4 to 10 I was Mormon. 10 to 13 Prespertian. 13-15 FLDS. By 15 my mom said it was up to me because I was always putting up a fight to go to chuch and I lighly attended with my friends at the local catholic church. I dabbled a bit in baptist, and lutheran at that time also. My ex was raised loosly catholic and we both agreed that with our girls we would attend church and just felt where we were both comfortable (At that point in time I had serious issues with organized religon and still do in a lot of ways) We both agree that our girls can accept jesus and attend what chuch they choose (now that we have split up we attend two different churches) and when they choose. My daughter who is 6 recently accepted christ in her heart but neighter one of us will allow her to be baptised because we feel that she should learn about other religons and have the choice without commiting herself to one and being let down by thoes around her when/if she chooses to leave like both of us did. My DH now is a baptist and always has been, He is well educated in other religons (which where we live is not norm) we are curently looking for a different church home because of some issues that have arised that are not biblical but keep being brought up at chuch. Now that DH has heard my past, and has seen the agreement between my ex and I he has relized that he too would prefer his sons to learn about other religons and find where they feel god is leading them.

crazymom21
by Gold Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 6:47 AM
I'm not sure were I fit in the poll lol I wasn't raised as anything. I've always had a strong connection to God. Went to a few different Christian denominations but none of the ones I tried fit. Looked into Wicca in high school but never felt anything for it or any other one either. Then 2 yrs ago started going to a non denominational Christian church. The first Sunday we attended even though I dreaded going, mainly I just didn't want get up early, was like we really were lost. Instant connection and I praise the Lord every day He lead us to His church. We found His house with these people. Best feeling in the world :D
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3babiesofmyown
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 6:55 AM
I may not quite fit in your poll but might just be good info too. I wasn't really raised practicing religion. My family claims certain beliefs but don't follow them necessarily. I did my research and chose more non denominational Christianity. But my belief system is pretty much aligned with baptist.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lilred57
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 6:58 AM
1 mom liked this
The poll is hard for me sorry. I was raised Methodist, then I chose non-denominational. I also researched paganism although my mom said that "god" would smite me for bringing and buying those books into her home. So I guess I converted to just, A belief in a higher power a belief in anything bigger than myself. Be it a God, nature, multiple Gods, that is how I will raise my daughter be open minded to whatever she choses.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sunshine257
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 6:58 AM

I was raised christian. I still believe in the bible but I have done a lot of research and I don't know what religion per-say I am. I believe the bible believe in the sabbath but I am not Jewish and I am not messianic either. So who knows what I am but yes I have done research.

ShelbysHope76
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Interesting, I do wonder how each person came to believe in certain religions, I was raised non demonminational, while the core of what I believe is the same, I attend church of christ. After studying the Word, that is the closest place that follows the Word. I have read about other religions, and have even wondered a time or two, But, no matter where or what I read, I know that Jesus is the son of God and that he died on the cross for little me. It's that personal relationship with Him and with God and the Holy Spirit that I want, never will find at church where everyone is nice, everyone is perfect becuase it just doesn't exist.

UpsideDown
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 9:44 AM

I was raised Mormon. I eventually lost faith in my religion but not God. I didn't convert to any other religion. I still pray and read the bible to my kids but I don't like organized religions.

ButterflyGenie
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 10:12 AM
Well I was raised Catholic but we are all non-denominational Christians now including my parents. Dh was also raised Catholic.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN