Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Anyone else delaying formal education? *Edit*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I was having a discussion in another post about delaying formal education. It got me thinking - anyone else planning on delaying formal education for their little ones? I am planning on starting (homeschooling, probably will be relaxed/eclectic) between 8-10 years of age. Until then, I am unschooling.

*Edit* Definitions

Unschool - this is not 'unlearning', it isn't refusing to teach anything, nor does it mean that I am keeping my son locked in a box until he is old enough for 'regular' school. It is learning through living by exploring the world around us. No lessons, no tests. It is tramping through the woods searching for bugs and insects to identify (eew), going to museums and zoos and on field trips, it is watching educational movies, it is taking every day things and turning them into 'lessons' - like learning about numbers and money while grocery shopping. It is fostering the love of learning and using a child's natural curiosity. This is unschooling!

Formal education - I thought this was self explanatory but apparently some people are struggling with this concept. It means using a curriculum and lessons.

Special needs - this one irks me. I can understand that people may not know about unschooling (I certainly did not a few years ago) but not understanding special needs bothers me. This does not mean my son is drooling in a wheelchair, unable to speak, or somehow mentally impaired. Yes, he CAN be advanced and special needs! He can talk, walk, and learn. He is autistic and does have challenges that come with that. He is autistic and he is brilliant (and no, I am not being 'one of those moms', he actually is brilliant). To those who said he couldn't be advanced because he is special needs, please do some research on autism and special needs. You need it.

If I think of any more, I will add them.
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 5, 2012 at 9:45 PM
Replies (11-20):
nicole0788
by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 9:48 PM

O_o

No.

GirlWSemiAuto
by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 9:48 PM
3 moms liked this

We aren't going to do major academics until about seven or eight depending on maturity. We homeschool so for now the emphasis is on enjoying learning, encouraging curiosity and learning the basics of reading, writing, and math.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 5, 2012 at 9:49 PM
3 moms liked this

No, I plan to teach my child from an early age. It will be less strict than public or private school but I think unschooling reeks of laziness. I am NOT calling you lazy, but that is the impression I got when I did a little reading on  it. I hope it works well for your family, whichever way you go.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 5, 2012 at 9:49 PM
My DD has been learning since toddlerhood. She started a formal education program at age 4. Why would you wait until your kids are 8?
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 5, 2012 at 9:50 PM
He can already read, write, spell, and do basic arithmetic. He's 4. I think he will be fine :)

Quoting activitymode:

If I wanted my kids to be dumb as hell, yes I would delay schooling.

Congratulations on raising future hamburger flippers.
megan05
by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 9:50 PM

no.. my son started public schools when he was 4 in preschool 2 years ago.. he loves school.. he will be in the 1st grade this year and cant wait

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 5, 2012 at 9:50 PM

I don't think that's legal. In my state a child must be registered for school at age 6 if they are homeschool that must be registered with your school district.

NDADanceMom
by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 9:50 PM

I did not.  My kids were ready and excited to go to school. 

JerseyAirGurl
by *Ada* on Aug. 5, 2012 at 9:51 PM
Wait till 8.... Um no thank you. I will be enrolling my child in a private montessori school as soon as possible.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy_me
by ~The Three B's~ on Aug. 5, 2012 at 9:51 PM
3 moms liked this

IMO this is absolutely ridiculous. Why would you want your child to be years behind his peers?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)