Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is your extended family all one race?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 149 Replies
I was thinking about DH and my families today. We both have HUGE families. At least 12 aunts and uncles each then tons of cousins and a bunch of our cousins are married and have kids. We each have 3 siblings and some of them are married with kids. And while looking at pictures it just dawned on me that on both sides we are ALL white. No African American, no Mexican, Indian, puerto rican or even nobody dark skinned or extremely tanned (the majority are Irish or Italian). With all those generations and like 120+ people I was just very surprised! I never thought of it before like that.

I think it's better and would be neat to have more of a mix of nationalities and races. And neither side of our family is racist in the least bit. We were all raised to look at people for what they are.....people. So what about your extended families? Are they all or mainly one race or more mixed?
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 6, 2012 at 9:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 6, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Not even close...step mom and step siblings are from San Salvador, SIL is Chinese, BIL is Mexican, and that is just to name a few.

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Aug. 6, 2012 at 9:59 PM

My immediate family isn't one race.  One of my sisters is married to a spanish man, so their kids are bi-racial, and my other sisters 1st husband was black so three of her kids are bi-racial.

TugBoatMama
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 9:59 PM
No. My extended family has adopted children from Ethiopia and my cousin Lisa was abandoned as a baby and adopted. They are all black.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
spicy_n_sweet
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Nope.  When my entire family (entire family includes my SO's family as well) gets together it looks like the UN.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 6, 2012 at 10:04 PM
I think thats awesome! Honestly I am kind of embarrassed about it. With THAT many people you would think it would be way more diverse.....

Quoting spicy_n_sweet:

Nope.  When my entire family (entire family includes my SO's family as well) gets together it looks like the UN.

skyes_mama
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 10:05 PM
My DHs side is ALL white, college graduate, middle to upper class.

My side...... Well we are very diverse and there is only 2 person in 4 generations has graduated from college. I have gays, blacks, white, redneck, army, CRAzYs, lol. We are the most fun to hang out with.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DanaG70
by Platinum Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 10:06 PM

No, I have three nephews that are Asian, my brothers were/are married to Filipino women.

treysmama06
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 10:06 PM
My husband is blk, so we have my white side and his black. His aunt is married to a white man!his uncle was with a white lady. My grandma-not bio but she raised my mom she is blk . most are blk. . I never think about it tho!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FL2AK
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 10:07 PM
No. We have Mexican, Korean and Guatemalan in my extended family.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ack86
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 10:07 PM
Now that you mentioned it, you made me think. My family and DH's family are all white too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)