Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

So torn - take the promotion or not?

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 10:35 AM
  • 0 Replies

So a little background information. I started working at a bank part-time about 3 months ago and since then, my supervisors have been really impressed with my work. Going into the position, they've been aware that I wanted a full-time position if one became available. Well, one has become available in the neighboring department. Not only would this mean more hours for me, it would mean a raise as well - almost $1/hr more. I could do a lot with that money, but the problem I'm having is the scheduling of it all.

Here is what our schedule looks like now:

Monday: up with the kids, work 12-5PM. Home by 6, be with kids til bedtime
Tuesday: up with the kids, work 12-5PM. Home by 6, be with kids til bedtime
Wednesday: up with the kids, work 12-5PM. Home by 6, be with kids til bedtime
Thursday: Off work - home with kids all day
Friday: up with the kids, work 12-5PM. Home by 6, free all night
Kids are with their dad from 2PM on Friday until 6PM on Sunday, every weekend.

With this new job - the hours are 2PM-10PM, Monday-Friday.

My son will be going to K4 in a few weeks on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday every week from 8-11:30. Afternoon classes are available, but I feel like I need to be there when he gets off school. I don't want to hear from someone else (his dad or my roommate/best friend) about what he did at school today, what he learned, etc. I feel like as a mother, I want to be the one to pick him up after school every day and have a little time before I have to leave for work.

The reason I'm torn is this:

My son would be at school from 8-11:30, leaving about 2 hours that we get to spend together before I have to be on my way to work. I do like the fact that I would be able to spend that one on one time with my daughter while my son is at school, though. While I'm at work, I would miss them going to bed every night I have them, and that's something that doesn't feel right to me either. If I took this job, I would switch with their father so that I would have them every other weekend, and he could pick them up around 2 and keep them til I get off work. The kids aren't able to stay overnight completely over there during he week because their father has to leave for work at 5AM. So basically, I would work 2-10, and then go pick up the kids, bring them home, and put them back to bed.

My question is this: IS IT WORTH IT?

I mean, the money would be fantastic and I like that I would have guaranteed hours every week, and this position also has tons of overtime, which I would take on the weekends that I didn't have my kids. Am I silly for feeling like this would be a lot of time away from my kids?

What are your opinions? What would you do?

by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 10:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies:
There are no replies to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)