Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

School supplies...community pot....are you for real? *EDIT*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

OK first off WOW. I didn't expect this to blow up like this. 2nd is these mothers weren't talking about not buying supplies for the community pot and supplying their own kids with their own stuff, they are talking about not buying anytihng AT ALL except a back pack. All that was asked for is crayons, pencils, glue sticks, baby wipes, tissues, handsanatizer, scissors and backpack EVERYTHING else will be provided. All folders and such. So these parents wont be buying anything for their kids and expecting parents like ME to so their kids will have the supplies they need. There are parents who can't afford the supplies and yes my childs supplies this year will be shared with them. 2 years ago if my kids were in school we wouldn't been able to afford it, yes even $30 per kid would have broken us. But we had been blessed the last 2 years and we are doing better so I understand parents who WANT to help but can't. I am not worried about my kids using "cheap" supplies when I bought the generic because the school specifically stated anything else will be sent home because they want ALL the kids to use the same stuff. Kindergarten is the ONLY grade that will be a community pot. The school also has a program where parents who can't afford the supplies puts their names on a list and someone who can help buys the supplies for that child which I am more than willing to do too. This isn't about my "wealthy" kids having to share their stuff with "poor" kids. This is about parents who don't feel the NEED to supply their kids with supplies because they don't think they NEED to. We live in a small area, the school district is small there is only 1500 students for all 3 schools so our school doesn't get the funding like bigger schools do but it's the best school district around because smaller class sizes and better teaching standards. Asking the teachers who work so hard to give our kids the best education they can to use personal money to buy even more supplies because parents dont "want" to is wrong. My tax dollars that are spent on the school are spent on keeping the school looking good and being clean, healthy lunches, good teachers, computers, play equipment, books etc. If they ask parents to help out the teachers by providing the things kids will be using through out the year I don't see a problem with that. $30 is $30 I am sure I will be spending more when they get their own stuff anyways and have to replace it through out the year. 

So I was at a play date yesterday with some moms from our neighborhood. The subject of school supplies was brought up, I have 2 kids going into kindergarten and most of the moms had at least 1 child in school or going into kindergarten too. The school supply list for kindergarten is only stuff that will go to a community pot minus the backpack. Well the moms were saying how they were NOT gonna buy anything on the list that they didn't feel the need to. Now am I the only one that feels this is wrong? I bought all the supplies on the list x2 KNOWING my kids will be using them and KNOWING that other kids who's parents can not afford it will be too. I spent $30/per kid including backpacks on the supplies so it's not like it's a huge list. And these parent's can AFFORD the supplies. We ALL are SAHM with nice houses and nice cars. I know what their husbands do for work too. So is this the norm that parents just don't buy the supplies because they don't want to?  Isn't that really selfish to not buy the supplies? And they were saying I was crazy for not only buying all the supplies but doing it for both kids....

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 7, 2012 at 3:31 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 7, 2012 at 3:39 PM
2 moms liked this

Most people are extraordinarily selfish and are raising their children to be the same.  While sad, this conversation that you describe is totally not unusual or unexpected. 

sfkdny
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 3:39 PM
2 moms liked this

people are assholes, it's as simple at that

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 7, 2012 at 3:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't find it to be selfish of them and I agree, you are crazy.  I have no intention of providing for the "have-nots".  They get my tax dollars so they sure as hell aren't going to get my decretionary dollars too. I send my money to people who are in REAL NEED.  Not those who choose to be losers. 

UgtaBkdnMe
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 3:40 PM
1 mom liked this

People like that are why we have to do it this way. I get everything on the list, then personal stuff for DD.

heyma4
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 3:41 PM
1 mom liked this

So they are going to make other kids, including their own, suffer because they want to be petty? Suffer may be too harsh of a word, but that's just silly. Yes they go into a pot, for the CHILDREN to use. I don't see why a person would be like that, at all.

Kaya529
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 3:41 PM
I will always buy the stuff on his school supply list plus some. Otherwise the teacher ends up buying it herself. That seems completely unfair.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
0Kit0
by Silver Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 3:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Weird. Just buy your own kids shit. And if you don't send your child to school with the right stuff, then your kid is screwed. Not a difficult concept.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
inmybizz
by Gold Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 3:41 PM

I buy whatever the school says my kid needs..no reservations or reluctance.

mommyof2kids401
by Amy on Aug. 7, 2012 at 3:41 PM
1 mom liked this
I bought everything x2 on my daughters school supply list as well. Except for the Klennex and hand sanitizer. I think I bought enough of that for the whole class for the year. Lol. I bought everything on sale and spent $50 including her backpack and lunch box.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
periwinkle163
by Silver Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

I only agree with this for Kindergarten. After that, kids should be held accountable for thier own belongings! :)

Quoting periwinkle163:

I get the whole list every year, but I have to say I don't agree with the community pot method. I can see why it's easier for teachers though.

They do it for kindergarten and first here. My dd's list had 4 boxes of crayola crayons but then we got an updated list and now it's 7. My son goes through 2 boxes a year, and really only one, I just replace around Christmas time because he like sharper crayons, lol.

"It is my observations, though, that happiness limits the amount of suffering one is willing to inflict upon others"
— Jacqueline Carey (Kushiel's Dart)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)