Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Food stamps and military families? EDIT

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
What are your thoughts?

Is it as bad as the normal food stamp use or is it any better because they work for the government and can't exactly have both working or a second job because of deployments and trainings etc?

What if they already buy no processed foods, make their own bread and pasta even, pizza/lasagna made at home, eat dollar menu once a month if that and no fast food otherwise, and at the end of bills and groceries they MAY have $50 for clothes, savings, etc (and have made it work for 5+ years and fed their own kids before that) and it is only for a rough patch of no more than two years if that?

Would those of you that don't like food stamps look down on and judge someone in the military that only uses them for healthy quality food and no junk?

It bothers me to some extent but at the same time with that lifestyle it is nearly impossible to have dual income or a second job. And they are working for the government so I'm not sure if it is completely mooching or not. :/

ETA thank you for almost all of the replies. Some were helpful some were hateful (and no I am not referring to those that didn't agree and were respectful as hateful). I don't have much more to say and I'm in no mood to talk anyway with a lot that I have going on. Thanks.
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 8, 2012 at 3:26 AM
Replies (621-626):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 10, 2012 at 7:14 AM
Quoting mollysmom212:

i have not heard of foodstamps for anyone military i know it would have to go through your commander and they would advise you to have some kind of counseling or get help with your budgetting...i know that you can get (or could get when we were active) wic...which is kind of like foodstamps but as far as i know that was if you had younger children...and yes when we were newly weds we had very little  money being active duty and we had to live of rahmen noddles and make adjustments....never heard of it..sorry...if somebody is really trying...guess thats all one can do...

I have seen he complete opposite happen here alot. They try to discourage fs but they give you fssa. Which is their cop out for fs
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 10, 2012 at 7:18 AM
Quoting Anonymous:

Look everything up- pay chart, BAH, BAS, etc... add it all up, they make more than I do and we don't qualify for PA, we pay our rent, bills, debts and get by just fine.

Most military are on one income. Not to mention hey pay for heir own gas while working, whixh doesnt sound like much but they drive around during their duties and they pay out of pocket as well as have a cell phone. They also pay for that. The leadership texts alot and calls alot so you have to have a better plan. Its not bad butis not good considerin what you are doing and the time requirements and sometimes huge responsibilities.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 10, 2012 at 7:21 AM
I heard the same about the bills. Also, they will still take all your bah and the utilities will came out of your pocket and not your bah. Screwed up If you ask me. They are making it no different from renting off post.

Quoting Sillybillymel:

My dh is ad army. We have always been higly encouraged to seek any kind of pa possible. There is a wic office on post. We dont get it, but the unit would tell people to go and get whatever you can. I will agree it is very hard for a spouse to have a job, even without kids. Our life reolves around my dhs schedule. It can change at any time and has. And he is in signal. I just found out they will now NOT be includin water and electric in post housing.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 10, 2012 at 7:26 AM
I wouldn't look down on anyone unless I knew their personal spending. I know a lot of military families that get paid and then blow their money (well lots of families in general).
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 10, 2012 at 7:26 AM
Quoting Anonymous:

Yeah here the bah they charge on post for a 2 bedbroom is not worth it. They would be charging 300-400 more than off post. But i feel bad people have been in post housing for years and hen got a letter saying basically f you. To me thats how it seems, because you are already established there and have an expectation of your bills and here i pay 300 a month offpost for water and electric but my rent is cheaper.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 10, 2012 at 8:08 AM
The reason they had to start charging if you go over a certain baseline is because people were not being efficient at all. They thought that because they lived on post they could set their air to 65 or their heat to 85. Usuage like that costs a lot of money. However if you stay under the baseline you will get mailed a check and it is pretty easy to stay under. When we lived on post we normally always got a check every month for being under.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Yeah here the bah they charge on post for a 2 bedbroom is not worth it. They would be charging 300-400 more than off post. But i feel bad people have been in post housing for years and hen got a letter saying basically f you. To me thats how it seems, because you are already established there and have an expectation of your bills and here i pay 300 a month offpost for water and electric but my rent is cheaper.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)