Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Did you suffer depression during pregnancy or post partum?

Posted by   + Show Post
I'm 8 months pregnant with my first and I can't seem to shake this depression. I know I should be so thankful and so excited but every day I seem to get more and more down on myself and I feel really isolated. I don't have a ton of girl friends, just 2 or 3 and none of them would I consider 'best friends'. The girl that was my best friend and bridesmaid in my wedding decided to completely dump our friendship as soon as she found out I was expecting. So I pretty much just work then come home and wait on hubby to get out of work, try not to spend any money so we can build our savings.... Last night I got so depressed I ended up cutting myself, when hubby found out he yelled at me and said I was acting like a high schooler. Before I met hubby I had a lot of self-harm issues and managed to stop most of it when we got together because I was embarrassed by it, but I have occasionally regressed in the past few years. DH doesn't know how to respond to it so he usually just yells at me for it... Sometimes I feel like I'm going to be a shitty mom.... I just hope our baby girl doesn't take after me and have depression and self esteem issues when she grows up...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 12:33 PM
Replies (21-30):
kailalaila
by Silver Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 2:30 PM

I had depression during my pregnancy with my twins and after

iluvmy2somuch
by Bronze Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 2:32 PM
Well mine seems to be both but I have never harmed myself. Make sure to be aware and let your doctor know if your feeling like this.
April620
by Ruby Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 2:34 PM
He doesn't know how to handle my depression or how to respond to it.... Sometimes when I try to tell him how I feel about myself (that I hate myself for example) he tries to turn it around on me saying things like "Yea I know I'm a shitty husband and can't make you happy." But that's not what I'm saying at all and it makes me feel even more guilty and depressed when he responds like that..

Quoting DropZoneMom:

I had some serious post-partum depression, and a bit before the baby was born, too.   You NEED to mention this to your OB -- NOW.   There is no reason for you to have to go through the rest of your pregnancy feeling this way.     And your DH needs to stop being an asshat -- yelling at you?   SERIOUSLY????    

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 8, 2012 at 2:40 PM

i think i did with my second. i dont like my dd and we dont get along. she is weird. I always say she was switched at birth. dh says its cuz i see her in me or whatever. She does weird odd things, she has problems and i dont like it. wish she was normal and acted normal. She acts like a cat and meows. She puts her head on the floor and her feet on the floor. She makes stupid baby noises like shes crying when she plays with her dolls. she does it so freaky that i always tell her to shut up and to stop acting so weird. I love my oldest and my son thats it. I do care for her but we are not close. If your weird i dont like u. not even my own kid. Its how i am, i am normal. i dont like weirdness. I like Unique people but she does not do nothing thats normal

Josie_P
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 2:43 PM
During pregnancy, I was depressed. I went from working to staying home, something I was not used to. No matter how much I tried getting out the house, when I got home, I just felt like shit. Now that I'm back at work, I'm antsy to RETURN home lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
opinionatedmom
by Platinum Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 2:46 PM

yes for 2 months ppd your just hormonal don't let it bother you. during my first preg I always thought hubby was looking at me mean now it is funny

April620
by Ruby Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 2:48 PM
I feel that way sometimes about one of the kids I babysit, she does some really annoying things and sometimes I just can't stand to be around her so I say it's time for independent learning or something like that lol.... That's another reason I feel like I may not be a good mom, but I guess it's different when they're your own...

Quoting Anonymous:

i think i did with my second. i dont like my dd and we dont get along. she is weird. I always say she was switched at birth. dh says its cuz i see her in me or whatever. She does weird odd things, she has problems and i dont like it. wish she was normal and acted normal. She acts like a cat and meows. She puts her head on the floor and her feet on the floor. She makes stupid baby noises like shes crying when she plays with her dolls. she does it so freaky that i always tell her to shut up and to stop acting so weird. I love my oldest and my son thats it. I do care for her but we are not close. If your weird i dont like u. not even my own kid. Its how i am, i am normal. i dont like weirdness. I like Unique people but she does not do nothing thats normal

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 8, 2012 at 2:52 PM

I am the op that April620 quoted. I dont hate her but i dislike her. She does extremely odd things. Dh just says ur a weirdo or mmk. but i tell her she is weird and to stop the shit she is doing because people dont like to be around that stuff. Kids are going to think she is just odd. She has no friends. she doesnt want to make friends, she doesnt listen to her old teachers and rather get in trouble for not listening and stay indoors to color then be with people. She always goes to bed first because im tired of the whole day with her. She does this thing when she laughs and makes stupid faces. I tell her Stop and she does another weird look, throws her self back and gives me the stupid facial expressions and i say see thats what i mean, why cant u just act normal and stop making faces and weird noises when im talking to u. its like shes a walking cartoon. its fucking pathetic.

momieoffive242
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 2:54 PM

no i never did

HotMichMomma
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 2:57 PM
I suffered from it with my 2nd. Both during and after. My advice is to please seek help. Brace yourself for the possibility that it may be worse post pardom but get on a medication the works even if that means not breast feeding. I know how you feel but you and your baby are important. It is tough to keep friendships with those who do not have kids because your interests change so much so quickly and it can leave you feeling lonely. If you need some interaction, someone to talk to and if it means you will keep from harming yourself, message me... I'll even give you my phone number and you can text me!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)