Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do we really need A God or Gods

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

to show us what is moral and what is not. Honestly don't you think we would know that you shouldn't rape someone or kill for fun, or hurt a child etc on our own with out needing to be told. I have often heard the argument against atheism that if you do not have a god you do not have any guidelines moral. It is time people realize that this is bull. Also how do you explain that people were just as moral and amoral as they are today before they were allowed to read the bible.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 10, 2012 at 1:08 AM
Replies (21-30):
alwayskk
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 10:09 AM
2 moms liked this

Actually, some of the pre-Christian philosophers were some of the most moral people I've read and they grew up in hedonism without the structures of modern society.

You do not need God or religion to be a moral person.

I don't feel like I've grown up in a moral society. My parents aren't all that moral. I'm still moral even though I'm an atheist.

LilyofPhilly
by Platinum Member on Aug. 10, 2012 at 10:12 AM
Obviously we don't. The things that are considered really wrong like rape and murder are universal. Civilized societies agree on these things despite having different religious beliefs. However, the specific laws of specific religions, such as having sex before marriage, often go ignored by those who embrace the religion.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 10, 2012 at 10:15 AM
Lol, so if you didn't have religion, you would be out killing people? Some of us do the right thing because it's the right thing to do, not because of hell amd damnation.

Quoting Anonymous:

In my opinion.

If all religion, belief, hope stopped and was outlawed today the world would end. Might take a couple hundred years, but everyone would be killed off. You learned what is right by bring taught that, with darkness, no light it would be nothing but evil all around us. Our Childers children would have no law because it would be a no consequence for doing wrong.

LilyofPhilly
by Platinum Member on Aug. 10, 2012 at 10:17 AM
Yes, some aspects of reality can be sad. That doesn't mean our existence is sad. I'd rather deal with reality, both the good and bad, both joyful and sorrowful than try to numb my pain with a fantasy. IMO, that would be sad.

Quoting cjsix:

I think it would be a pretty sad existance without faith in God and knowing that He loves me with an everlasting love. That someday I will see Him in a wonderful place called heaven and that I will see my babies and be able to hold and love them for the first time,see my grandparents whom I miss very much and my dad that I so wish was still here.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LilyofPhilly
by Platinum Member on Aug. 10, 2012 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this
Don't worry, the fairies and leprechauns will get them.

Quoting NaturalMama1026:

How about needing judgment for those who commit horrible crimes that nobody ever catches.....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LilyofPhilly
by Platinum Member on Aug. 10, 2012 at 10:25 AM
Yes, looqk at history. The Code of Hammurabi pre-dates religious texts and is basically the moral standards we hold today. And if you look back and look at the modern world, the most religious societies were and are the most corrupt.

Quoting LadyBugMom09:

It's easy for us to distinguish now between what is right and wrong in most cases because we've been raised in society that has already established those guidelines. (Many of which were based on religion if you look at our history j/s). But if you go waaaaayyyyy back, it wasn't always so clear. Hence, I believe mankind needed (still needs) God's guidance and direction. It's up to us if we choose to follow it or not. The choice is ours.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ddemarco
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 10:29 AM

This except that I only believe in God.

Quoting SalemWitchChild:

I am not spiritual because it makes me moral. I can make just as many mistakes believing in the Lord and Lady as I can not believing in them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 10, 2012 at 11:12 AM
Great! Problem solved!

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

Don't worry, the fairies and leprechauns will get them.

Quoting NaturalMama1026:

How about needing judgment for those who commit horrible crimes that nobody ever catches.....

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 10, 2012 at 11:13 AM
Eh god is just false hope for those who are weak.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 10, 2012 at 11:16 AM
You can't be serious. You honestly believe that if organized religion was abolished that murder would no longer be against the law? That people would no longer be sentenced to prison? You don't think non-god fearing people are able to see right from wrong?

I'm sorry, but that is the most simple minded reply I have ever read on this site. Smh.
Quoting Anonymous:

In my opinion.

If all religion, belief, hope stopped and was outlawed today the world would end. Might take a couple hundred years, but everyone would be killed off. You learned what is right by bring taught that, with darkness, no light it would be nothing but evil all around us. Our Childers children would have no law because it would be a no consequence for doing wrong.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)