Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What Kind of Formula Do/Did You Use?

Posted by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 1:17 PM
  • 55 Replies

Just had my first baby on July 13th. Unfortunately she had to spend two weeks in the NICU due to some feeding & weight issues. My original plan was to only breastfeed but because she was not gaining enough weight (losing too much at one point) and I was not making enough breast milk I have to supplement with formula for a little while until I can get my supply up (And the hospital did not have a breast milk donor program). While she was in the NICU I brought in as much breast milk as I could generate but it wasn't enough (She has a HUGE appetite!). She is stable now and home with me but my doctor still wants me to supplement because when I tried taking away the formula to try to increase my supply through supply and demand I still wasn't making enough!

My question is what kind of formula do you use and why? Do you notice differences between the formula's? The hospital used Enfamil but I switched her to Similac due to the corn solids that were in Enfamil. I am trying everything to get my supply up but it is being stubborn. I hope to have it up soon so I can get her off the formula but for the time being...

Anyway any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I will also take suggestions on how to increase my milk supply!

Thanks Ladies!

"Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal; it is the Courage to Continue that Counts." -- Winston Churchill

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 1:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
me-n-mygirls
by Silver Member on Aug. 11, 2012 at 1:20 PM
1 mom liked this
I prefer enfamil.
my kids had reactions to similac.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LaughCryLive
by Ruby Member on Aug. 11, 2012 at 1:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Get a LC ASAP.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mychele
by Ruby Member on Aug. 11, 2012 at 1:21 PM
1 mom liked this
I struggle with supply issues so I have tried it all. I am telling you, get more milk plus. It's a godsend. I bf for over a year. You can do it ! Plus get a SNS. you can supplement and get extra nipple stimulation. Good luck. Join le leche league. They will help you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
asmalltowngirl
by Platinum Member on Aug. 11, 2012 at 1:21 PM
Put her to the breast as much as possible. Join the breast feeding moms group. Good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovemysnugbugs
by Gold Member on Aug. 11, 2012 at 1:21 PM
Both my kids actually did best on the Walmart brand.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyfesha
by monster on Aug. 11, 2012 at 1:22 PM
I've always used enfamil
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
H.E.Smama
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 1:22 PM
I used simalac
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
proudmommy690
by Ruby Member on Aug. 11, 2012 at 1:22 PM
i prefer gerber good start. my 1st and 3rd use the original (orange can) but my 2nd had to use the soy kind.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
csckcck
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 1:23 PM

the sams version of gentle ease

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 11, 2012 at 1:23 PM

I've used Gerber, Similac, and Enfamil. Seems like they are all the same to me. My baby didn't have a problem with any. Besides spitting up. I also breast feed.But other than that she was fine.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)