Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

$40 to last 9 days???edit::

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies
We hit a bump this month. Next cheque is in 9 days. So I have $40 to last for food.

I have a lot of pasta that I can make. No rice or potatoes...

Family of 3 here. DD is 3 years old and I always buy extra each week for times like this (fish and chicken she loves and I have that but its just enough for her). I also have 2 bags of frozen fries.

I noticed I had 4 porkchops in the freezer but its past expiry date.... its been frozen the whole time though, is it still good???

Edit: forgot to say I'm Canadian. So food is expensive here... basically my $40 is like American $25.

DD eats tons of fruit and veggies. Feeding her is no problem since she isn't picky... but dh... yea left overs- nope. He will eat it all. He is very picky. And eats a lot :/

I haven't eaten for 2 days do far. I woke up hungry last night thinking of whatvto get today. I only eat once a day anyways so I only missed 2 meals... lol

But DD is fine food wise. Dh though... I'm not sure :/ meat is so expensive!
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 11, 2012 at 4:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
southernbelletx
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 4:48 PM

The porckhops are fine as long as they wer frozen before the expiration date. Sorry about the spelling my keyboard is sticking.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 11, 2012 at 4:49 PM
Oh its okay, and thank-you.

Quoting southernbelletx:

The porckhops are fine as long as they wer frozen before the expiration date. Sorry about the spelling my keyboard is sticking.

Audreysmommy123
by Silver Member on Aug. 11, 2012 at 4:51 PM

as long as you don't see any frost bite it should be fine..

check around to see if there's any small sales, and then look online or something for coupons.

hkelly7
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 4:51 PM

You will be alright. I don't know how you shop when money isnt tight but coupons.com is great, or farmers markets usually have great deals on fruits and veggies. (& they are better for you). Think balanced & leftovers. I could assume you are stressed about it but with what you already have and 40 dollars for 9 days is okay. head up!

junebaby11
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 4:52 PM
You can get loads with that shop at aldis, go shppping late,at night for sales on produce, get loads of beans protein, lentils, bulgar wheat, lentil loaf is good one
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thefiregoddess
by MotherDucker on Aug. 11, 2012 at 4:52 PM
I make 40 last a month.
You'll be fine
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Redwoods_Mama
by Platinum Member on Aug. 11, 2012 at 4:52 PM

The chops are fine.

Lentils are good, as are dry beans and rice/ homemade cornbread.  Eggs and spaghetti.  A whole chicken if you can get it cheap.

southernbelletx
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Instead of buying a little extra each week why don't you make extra of your family dinner? Most casseroles freeze well and it is cheaper than starting from scratch.

Bread, lunch meat, and ramen noodles never killed anyone for a week...*it sucks, but I made it thru college alive*

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 11, 2012 at 4:55 PM
Yep, frozen food doesn't go bad. :)
Try your best to last on the pasta - I think a whole box can feed the three of you for lunch and dinner. Anything you don't eat, put in the fridge for leftovers.
Skip a meal a day if you can can; or eat lighty throughout all three.
Do you have access to a food pantry? Go there.

Good luck!
Tracy1717
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 4:56 PM
Yea, the pork chops are fine. And $40 for 9 days is easy, you can do it! I'd go get some rice for sure cuz that can go in just about everything and is a filler :) u can make some kind of casserole with your frozen fries too! Add beans or ground beef a veggie an top it off with cheese.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN