Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Should We Attach a STIGMA to Food Stamps?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

"We" being the Government.  Should we make people feel bad so they will get off FS's faster?  Should those using FS be entitled to buy the same foods as those paying cash?  Is there a benefit to attaching a stigma to food stamps? 

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 12, 2012 at 9:26 AM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Aug. 12, 2012 at 12:07 PM
5 moms liked this

How about, if we had more jobs that were actually "hiring" then I don't think we will have this problem.

mama2sqgl
by Bronze Member on Aug. 12, 2012 at 12:08 PM
1 mom liked this

NO, he works full time. He is filling his required hours to become a Pharmcist and I am an LPN. Not everyone can support a family on only one income. Especially when you also have student loans, two children and a morgage payment. We dont live beyond our means, or have any unnessisary expences. 

Just like you shoulnt judge a book by its cover, you shouldnt judge a family by the TEMPORARY support they recive.

I am not saying people dont take advantage of the system, it happends everyday. No one person is the same and shouldnt be judged like they are.

marabie
by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Ya food stamps are handed out way to easily I asked about assistance for housing when I was in school and they were like "we're not sure about housing but you qualify for foodstamps" like ??? That is not what I was looking for but I understand why so many people are on it.. And when I asked why there are waiting lists the lady said "Because people are on it for years and don't get off" I think it should be mandatory that people attend school, find a high paying job, ect to recieve assistance because it is crazy that somebody that is going to graduate and find a job making 100,000 can't recieve help while attending school but those milking the system can be on FS, LIH, ect for YEARS.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Aug. 12, 2012 at 12:09 PM

What's a shame is how you all keep talking about this! NON STOP!

hope_love_dream
by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 12:11 PM

the govt? no, because the people already have. why add more shame to it?

Miss-B
by ♥Divalicious♥ on Aug. 12, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Quoting peanut081981:

There's already a stigma attached to food stamps.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 13 on Aug. 12, 2012 at 12:12 PM

I think they should lower the threshold even more so anybody off the street can get food stamps.  The sooner the system crashes (because it inevitably will) the better.  Then no one will get them and that's when the fun begins!

cammy002
by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 12:16 PM

neither me nor my hubby chose to quit our jobs, and the only assistance we get now is medical for my kids  i dont care what happens to me but my child needs insurance. we got foodstamps for a year and got off. both me and dh work hard to provide for our child, i sont see anythin worng with getting a little when it needed. i would rather get the help than have my child starve or live on the street

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Quoting cammy002:

i pray some of you people never get into a position where you need government help. it honestly not a good feeling knowig you cant feed your kids because of unforseen circumstances.

Right out of college my hubby got a good paying job, during my last hear i also got a job ad got pregnant. we werent worried because he had a good job and wanted me to stay homw with or son for at least two years, a year after having our son he got laid off. he quickly for another job but with a huge pay cut. we were now struggling to make ends meet. i decided to get a job, but child care where i lived was $280 a week and even with a college degree i lacked experience in my field (only worked about eight months before complications caused me to quit)and it took me a while to get a job, my unemployment ra out and i had to get foodstamps something i thought i would never do. we only had it for a year, its been a couple years since then i am now working again a my son is in school. dh hasnt gotten bach in his right field of work, things are tight but we are making it work.

i still have medicaid for my son and the baby we have on the way, neither of our jobs provide medical

You really don't see where your own choices got you where you are? Pregnant with a child and getting assistance?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 12, 2012 at 12:17 PM
You obviously are living beyond your means if you can't afford your own food.

Quoting mama2sqgl:

NO, he works full time. He is filling his required hours to become a Pharmcist and I am an LPN. Not everyone can support a family on only one income. Especially when you also have student loans, two children and a morgage payment. We dont live beyond our means, or have any unnessisary expences. 

Just like you shoulnt judge a book by its cover, you shouldnt judge a family by the TEMPORARY support they recive.

I am not saying people dont take advantage of the system, it happends everyday. No one person is the same and shouldnt be judged like they are.

goodmama85
by Diamond Member on Aug. 12, 2012 at 12:18 PM

*sighs*
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN