Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

"Pack A Bowl" - she did not just say that!!!!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Yes she did!!

I'm watching my niece today (who is 18 months & who has been talking since like 9 months) & we were playing around on the floor when my DH (her uncle) got up to go to the bedroom....

I said "Hun, what are you going to do?"
& before he could respond my niece said: "PACK A BOWL"
My DH & I just stared at each other & then I asked her : "Layla baby what did you say?"
She repeated the same words!!
I asked her calmly where she heard those words before & she told me "that's what Mark always says" (mark is my sil boyfriend) -- we are shocked.

We are watching her because DHs sister (my sil) is at work right now & needed a sitter & usually mark watches my niece while she works but today for some reason he was unable to.
I feel so bad & don't know what to do. We are going to speak to sil when she comes to get pickup baby & going to offer to watch Layla whenever she works so she doesn't have to be exposed to mark and what he is doing. DH & I know that she (Layla's mom) knows that her BF smokes weed & even though we tried to forewarn her this dude, she still continues to let him smoke in het apartment & apparently he does this around Layla.

If you were in my shoes - how would you approach this situation with my sil?
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 12, 2012 at 10:58 AM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 12, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Kids don't have to hear something multiple times to repeat it. Just think about them watching a movie and then repeating what is said in it even though they only saw the movie once. I am not saying he doesn't say it often but saying it and doing it in front of her are different things.

I would tell your sister what she said and to be more careful around her daughter. Just becuase she is 18 months doesn't mean that she isn't able to pick things up and apply them at a different time.

I can tell you with all honesty right now though that she won't get her child taken away because of marijuana use.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm not naive - I know she does it (birds of a feather flock together) even though she denies to high heaven that she does it (she forgets I used to smoke ALL THE TIME) so I can tell when she's high ... My thing is that this expression is said so frequently around my niece & she now is so quick to repeat it - I'm afraid she will say this in front of the wrong person & BOOM CPS/DCF is involved when they didn't have to be & the situation could have been avoided.

Quoting Anonymous:

Saying something in front of a child doesn't mean he was doing it in front of her. Also, if you think that he is telling your sister to pack one and she isn't taking part then you're being naive.

Marijuana won't hurt her.

tifbrown
by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 11:47 AM
I am pro pot, but this is disgusting. I am not sure how I would approach the situation. I would be pretty upset that she was allowing this around her baby for the benefit of her boyfriend. Just calmly express your concerns and the possible effects on the baby. It's hard as she is an adult and it is her daughter. I think offering ongoing babysitting is very good of you and a good idea. Try to keep emotions in check and let your hubby do mosy of the talking, as it is his sister. Good luck :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sarahfire
by Platinum Member on Aug. 12, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

I'd just say hey you might want to stop talking about your pot in front of the baby. She repeats things. Other than that nothing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 12, 2012 at 11:54 AM
That is true is some cases, but in this case it is not... She does smoke. Even though she denies it, we all know she does. Most of us are former smokers ourselves (me included) so we know when she's high. That's not the point though. In my post I never mention contacting CPS because, my concern is my niece saying or repeating this to someone who would try to infact do that. I want my sil & her BF to be more careful what they say/do, so that they (more importantly my niece) will never be put in a situation like that. That's all

Quoting Anonymous:

just because someone partner smokes weed, doesn't mean they do. Dh smokes-I don't, my stepdad smokes-my mom doesn't, my sister smokes-her boyfriend doesn't, my foster dad smokes-foster mom doesn't. From time to time all of us non-smokers will roll a joint or pack a bowl for the smokers. So, it's probably good not to assume the sister smokes.

As far as cps goes, saying words is not illegal. They also can't force you to take a drug test, so it's kind of pointless to call cps about this. Is your niece being abused in some way?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 12, 2012 at 12:03 PM
Thank you for the advice -- I was going to be the one who was going to talk to her.... But I think your right, it's best to let DH do the talking on this one.

Quoting tifbrown:

I am pro pot, but this is disgusting. I am not sure how I would approach the situation. I would be pretty upset that she was allowing this around her baby for the benefit of her boyfriend. Just calmly express your concerns and the possible effects on the baby. It's hard as she is an adult and it is her daughter. I think offering ongoing babysitting is very good of you and a good idea. Try to keep emotions in check and let your hubby do mosy of the talking, as it is his sister. Good luck :)

The_Doodle
by Platinum Member on Aug. 12, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Personally, I wouldn't freak out on her but I would point out that if she said that in front of a daycare worker, teacher, or someone who is legally required to report things to CPS, that it could cause trouble for her. FWIW, though, just because she said it doesn't necessarily mean they smoke it around her. The BF could of easily said something like, "I'm just ready to pack a bowl," or something like that. 

Melanie420
by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 2:28 PM
Whatever

Quoting Anonymous:

Hey I don't care what he does on his own personal time when he isn't around my niece. I'm a grown ass woman with worries & problems of my my own & he is a grown man who makes decisions for himself -- I'm not his mommy. But I am that little girls titi (aunt) & she is my family & I can't just stand by blindly. He is the one who watches my niece when SIL is at work - I doubt he leaves my niece alone in the apartment while he goes outside or in his car to smoke a blunt/bowl. I know he smokes with her there because there have been times when I needed to drop off/pick up something while sil is at work & he is there 'supposedly' watching her and the whole dang apartment smells like it. I confront him & he straight up lies. I told her and she lies for him saying, "Oh he must have done it earlier in the day when he was out, before I left for work & the smell stayed on his clothes" GTFOH

Quoting Melanie420:

Nothing.....so what, he smokes, just because she said pack a bowl does not mean he's smoking around her, he could go outside, in another room and blow the smoke out the window, smoke a blunt in his car, it doesn't mean he's smoking around her, it just means he packs the bowl inside the house

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Melanie420
by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 2:29 PM
Yes really, I say pack a bowl all the time around my kid but I don't smoke around him I go somewhere else

Quoting KeepJeep:

Holy hell. Seriously. I am a former pot smoker and I think it should be legal, but really?

Quoting Melanie420:

Nothing.....so what, he smokes, just because she said pack a bowl does not mean he's smoking around her, he could go outside, in another room and blow the smoke out the window, smoke a blunt in his car, it doesn't mean he's smoking around her, it just means he packs the bowl inside the house

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Melanie420
by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 2:30 PM
yes I would correct it, but I wouldn't be upset because they have no idea what it means

Quoting Anonymous:

You wouldn't care if your kids went around cursing?

Im curious? Wouldn't you stop the child from saying that/correct the behavior?

Just because a child doesn't know what something is or means, doesn't mean it's appropriate for them to say or do.

I

Quoting Melanie420:

no just like I wouldn't care if she cussed because kids repeat things, she don't even knows what it means

Quoting MommieBre21:

you really wouldn't care if your neice said pack a bowl at 18 months old? I sure as hell wouldn't want my kids saying stuff like that, especially out in public and everything.

Quoting Melanie420:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WesAndNicksMom
by Platinum Member on Aug. 12, 2012 at 2:33 PM
I would tell her what she said and tell her they need to be more careful since the kid is absorbing everything. I don't care what people do but there comes a time thatyou have to start watching what you say and do or it will affect the kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN