Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think this policy is really that bad or should these men just get over themselves and move their seat as asked?

Posted by   + Show Post

Pedophile Policies on Airplanes May Insult Men But So What

Posted by Cynthia Dermody on August 13, 2012 

A airline cabin31-year-old man is making a huge public fuss over the fact that a flight attendant on a major airline asked him to move his seat away from an unaccompanied 10-year-old girl. He's saying the airplane embarrassed him and made people think he was a pedophile. How childish of him. This is not the first time someone (usually a man) has pulled the discrimination card on these airline policies. But really, they should just shut up about it. As a parent, I think this policy is an excellent one for protecting kids. As a passenger, this is an even excellenter policy, because who wants to sit next to a kid on a plane when you absolutely don't have to.

Hopefully when you are on a plane, you are going somewhere relaxing to get away from kids of any kind. I mean, we love our precious little snowflakes and all, but let's be real -- some parent is putting their unaccompanied minor on that plane for a reason.

There is maybe only one perk to sitting next to little kids on a plane, and that is that they are usually pretty small. There is nothing worse than getting a seat next to a pleasantly plump person whose legs overflow the arm rests into your personal territory -- that you paid for. (Alright, maybe two perks. If kids are sitting next to you, then they aren't sitting behind you constantly kicking your seat, with you constantly craning your neck back at them with your annoyed "stop it" face on.)

But other than that, there are really nothing but negatives.

-- Too-loud iPods bleeding through their ear buds

-- All that fidgeting

-- Gum chomping

-- Constantly asking the flight attendant for something -- crunchy snacks, to go to the bathroom for the 15th time, to shut the overhead air thing off, can I have a pillow?

Man, feels like I never even left home.

Other men have contested these kinds of "all men are pedophiles" policies on planes and won. One of the arguments of the man who was asked to move his seat on Qantas recently was that it's highly unlikely a child is going to be harmed by a stranger on a flight, that a child is more likely to be assaulted by someone they know. That is very true, statistically, and it probably is discriminatory in a way, but who cares.

It's such a non-event to move your seat. If something like this could prevent incidents like the pervert groping a sleeping teen boy on a JetBlue flight recently, then it's worth just sucking it up and finding something else to complain about. This is the airline industry we are talking about, after all, the choices are unlimited.

Do you think this policy is really that bad or should these men just get over themselves and move their seat as asked?

by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 6:48 PM
Replies (581-590):
lasombrs
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2012 at 7:11 AM

is the man really a pedophile? I dont understand. If he is he should by all means move!

If not, and he choose his seat it was not assigned to him byt the airline (like jet blue lets you pick a certain seat before buying the ticket) he should not move if he does not want to. There could be endless possibilities that he choose that seat and should not have to move. People who choose to send their child alone on a plane can not expect that no one else will ever seat next to them that foolish.

redblueS2
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 7:46 AM

I understand wanting to protect our children,but it does seem offensive.  I agree with the mom,about moving the child.  It seems more of an inconvenience,not to mention insulting,for the adult to have to move.  It would seem more discreet, and easier, to coax the child to another seat. 

scrapbookkitty
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 8:17 AM
3 moms liked this

For those saying this is a bad policy or stupid... you obviously haven't been a victim or had your child be a victim!

~~ Michelle ~~

Wife to a wonderful husband, Mom to four beautiful kids!

soon2bmomof2grs
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2012 at 8:28 AM

I think it's crazy. They should ask the man if he would like to switch seats or they should move the kid. Better yet, have a kid section. Take a few seats for the kids that are flying alone and their flight attendants. Put them at the front or back so others will be less bothered. No kid is going to care to move when asked. It does make the man look mad for no reason when he is asked to move, though if I was a male I'd ask as soon as I noticed where I would be sitting - oh I still would since I am a female, I love my kids, anyone else who is not family... Not so much on a plane.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 15, 2012 at 8:33 AM
1 mom liked this
Why not? Maybe divorced parents who live in different states? My daughter is 10. She goes on a direct flight by herself next year. I think it is a great idea!

Quoting achorney:

Why was a 10 year old girl unaccompanied on an airline flight in the first place? 

nannycare
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 8:33 AM
1 mom liked this

The fact that they are offended is a red flag for me. If you have done nothing, then you have nothing to worry about. Who cares what people think. Our children, the church;s future is too important. We have lost sight of that.

kidlover2
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 8:40 AM
One of my best friends was molested by a woman. Women are not any better than men. In fact, I trust my 3 girls with 2 male baby-sitters because they are more fun, protective, and imo more capable than a silly teenage girl to be useful in an emergency.

Quoting scrapbookkitty:

For those saying this is a bad policy or stupid... you obviously haven't been a victim or had your child be a victim!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 15, 2012 at 8:41 AM
This story is ridiculous. All the spelling and grammatical errors makes me think the writer just wants his 15 minutes of fame. Nothing about this story makes sense.
SeakingPeace
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Idiotical.  Just move.

McKenzie88
by Member on Aug. 15, 2012 at 9:12 AM
I was 7 when I started flying alone. We lived in Iowa and my dad lived in Virginia. There was a court order that said that my mom Had to put me on that plane twice a year. It wasn't that bad...

Quoting Anonymous:

Why not? Maybe divorced parents who live in different states? My daughter is 10. She goes on a direct flight by herself next year. I think it is a great idea!

Quoting achorney:

Why was a 10 year old girl unaccompanied on an airline flight in the first place? 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured