Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

No, I will not acknowledge you as husband and wife...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Because you're not!

Seriously, this has me annoyed. I just got married, legally married, and a couple we know (my brother's good friend and his gf) are going to have a ceremony and begin calling each other husband and wife and wearing rings, but are not going to get legally married.

I have no problem with couples who want to be together forever and not marry, but if you don't want to get married, then DON'T PRETEND TO BE. Why pretend to be married, if you don't WANT to be married???

It just seems disrespectful to me, because I actually am married, and others who aren't, can just play pretend and wear the rings and use the title, knowing it's a facade. They're going to go around just lying to people for the rest of their lives. I couldn't imagine introducing my DH as my DH and telling people I'm married if I knew I really wasn't.

If you want to pretend to be married, THEN GET MARRIED.

*To clarify, we are not in a common law state, and they aren't religious, so it isn't even for being married in God's eyes.*
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 17, 2012 at 12:40 AM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 17, 2012 at 12:48 AM
1 mom liked this

well depending on the state, after a certain amount of time they are married..common law style

BamaMomto4
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2012 at 12:49 AM
Does their state recognize common law marriages?
taylamill
by Tayla on Aug. 17, 2012 at 12:49 AM
6 moms liked this
Did you know before the church was formed and ordained marriages people would hold ceremonies and declare themselves married before their God or Gods? And they was married. It's a tradition as old as time. The reason that people file paperwork to marry is because then they can file taxes together and get insurance. If they before God declare their love and lives to each other how is that different than you and your husband? They just don't have a piece of paper.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LiesLiesLies
by Platinum Member on Aug. 17, 2012 at 12:49 AM
3 moms liked this
Yep I swear I probably won't ever get married again.

Dealing with the pre-nup and all that bullshit just isn't worth it.

If I want to be with someone and call them my husband, my lover, my bitch or my boyfriend it shouldn't affect anyone else's relationship.

Quoting jjolsen77:

marriage is a piece of paper that allows the spouse to get health and dental benefits.... you can live a wonderful life together and never be married on paper

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 17, 2012 at 12:49 AM
3 moms liked this
If you think getting married is just for benefits, that's really sad.

Quoting jjolsen77:

marriage is a piece of paper that allows the spouse to get health and dental benefits.... you can live a wonderful life together and never be married on paper

slashteddy
by Platinum Member on Aug. 17, 2012 at 12:50 AM

For some people, the legal recognition is the most important part. For other people, being married in front of their God(s) is the most important part. Some people can and/or want to do without either of those. It seems kind of suspicious to me, but I probably just watch too much Law and Order: SVU.

emandab
by Gold Member on Aug. 17, 2012 at 12:50 AM

I don't think I would be upset about it, but I'd seriously by like "what the fuck is the point of the ceremony then?" lol

Quoting Anonymous:

Whether it site well with me, doesn't change facts. They will not be husband and wife if they don't get married. It is a lie. I think it's disrespectful to people who are married.

Quoting Anonymous:

Marriage isn't for everyone. Some people just see it as a piece of paper. If that's what they want to do then that's awesome for them, they don't need to change what they are doing because it doesn't sit well with you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 17, 2012 at 12:50 AM
4 moms liked this
Looks like this thread has a few women on it who can't get their man to marry them and now they're mad because you won't help them live in fantasyland where they can call their NSA relationship a marriage.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 17, 2012 at 12:50 AM
Oh hush. I'm married and it's not disrespectful to me and I'm sure its not disrespectful to alot of people. Marriage is a piece of paper saying you can get health, dental and death benefits from the person you share your life with.

Quoting Anonymous:

Whether it site well with me, doesn't change facts. They will not be husband and wife if they don't get married. It is a lie. I think it's disrespectful to people who are married.

Quoting Anonymous:

Marriage isn't for everyone. Some people just see it as a piece of paper. If that's what they want to do then that's awesome for them, they don't need to change what they are doing because it doesn't sit well with you.

LucyHarper
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 12:50 AM
2 moms liked this

Marriage is not a piece of paper. I know plenty of people who are spiritually married and not legally and their marriage is just as real as yours. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)