Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

No, I will not acknowledge you as husband and wife...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Because you're not!

Seriously, this has me annoyed. I just got married, legally married, and a couple we know (my brother's good friend and his gf) are going to have a ceremony and begin calling each other husband and wife and wearing rings, but are not going to get legally married.

I have no problem with couples who want to be together forever and not marry, but if you don't want to get married, then DON'T PRETEND TO BE. Why pretend to be married, if you don't WANT to be married???

It just seems disrespectful to me, because I actually am married, and others who aren't, can just play pretend and wear the rings and use the title, knowing it's a facade. They're going to go around just lying to people for the rest of their lives. I couldn't imagine introducing my DH as my DH and telling people I'm married if I knew I really wasn't.

If you want to pretend to be married, THEN GET MARRIED.

*To clarify, we are not in a common law state, and they aren't religious, so it isn't even for being married in God's eyes.*
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 17, 2012 at 12:40 AM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 17, 2012 at 12:53 AM
Not in our state, so that doesn't pertain to them, dear.

Quoting Anonymous:

Pull the stick out your ass. There is a thing called "common law" dear.

ihave1
by Platinum Member on Aug. 17, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Congrats on getting married. =)

OneToughMami
by Ruby Member on Aug. 17, 2012 at 12:53 AM

I can't say I feel any cooler than the couple she is complaining about...then again...I don't let everyone else's marriage or not-marriage affect me lol

I am sure some of us just are happy enough in our marriages or were happy enough that we just don't give a fuck

Quoting LiesLiesLies:

Seriously.

It sounds like the OP feels special because someone finally married her and now wants to feel cooler than people who aren't legally married! Lol!

Quoting OneToughMami:

um...what is that all accomplishing?

weirdkids
by Gold Member on Aug. 17, 2012 at 12:53 AM
My dh and I are not legally married because we can't be ATM we wear rings and my family even refers to him as my husband.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HisMommy4Ever
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 12:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh my gosh why do girls on here give a crap about the way people live. Who gives a shit if a couple is not married? It's their life and if they want to call each other husband and wife...who cares?! is it affecting you in any way? You're legally married..okay...good for you. Mind ur own business.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 17, 2012 at 12:53 AM
So you aren't legally married?

Quoting firespurity:

If they are having a real ceremony then they are really getting married. The legal part of marriage is the most insignificant part. I never paid for my piece of paper, but I made a real commitment. To myself, my husband, my community, and everyone else, I just didn't let uncle sam get in my business.

SammiBaby
by Gold Member on Aug. 17, 2012 at 12:53 AM

It can be kind of annoying but in all honesty if people want to play house and all that jazz and pretend to be married when they're not...I honestly couldn't care less. Their relationship so it does not affect me in the least.

Why does it concern you so much?  I'm very secure in my marriage so people playing pretend doesn't in any way make me feel like my marriage is less valued.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 17, 2012 at 12:53 AM
1 mom liked this
Because before there was ordained ministers and legal documents people held ceremonies and declared their love for one another in the eyes of the lord.

Quoting emandab:

I don't think I would be upset about it, but I'd seriously by like "what the fuck is the point of the ceremony then?" lol

Quoting Anonymous:

Whether it site well with me, doesn't change facts. They will not be husband and wife if they don't get married. It is a lie. I think it's disrespectful to people who are married.

Quoting Anonymous:

Marriage isn't for everyone. Some people just see it as a piece of paper. If that's what they want to do then that's awesome for them, they don't need to change what they are doing because it doesn't sit well with you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 17, 2012 at 12:53 AM

In many states there is thing called common law!!!! I didn't want to get married but I was committed to my DH just like you are committed to your DH. I am his wife as he is my husband. Get over your self and stop being so judgemental. We did finally get married when I couldn't get health insurance and his employer started offering insurance.

Quoting Anonymous:

Because you're not!

Seriously, this has me annoyed. I just got married, legally married, and a couple we know (my brother's good friend and his gf) are going to have a ceremony and begin calling each other husband and wife and wearing rings, but are not going to get legally married.

I have no problem with couples who want to be together forever and not marry, but if you don't want to get married, then DON'T PRETEND TO BE. Why pretend to be married, if you don't WANT to be married???

It just seems disrespectful to me, because I actually am married, and others who aren't, can just play pretend and wear the rings and use the title, knowing it's a facade. They're going to go around just lying to people for the rest of their lives. I couldn't imagine introducing my DH as my DH and telling people I'm married if I knew I really wasn't.

If you want to pretend to be married, THEN GET MARRIED.

OneToughMami
by Ruby Member on Aug. 17, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Cool and let them find out when they go to do their taxes and you get more money than them. What is how they choose to refer to themselves a burden to you?

Quoting Anonymous:

The commitment may be real, but they are not married.

Quoting LucyHarper:

Marriage is not a piece of paper. I know plenty of people who are spiritually married and not legally and their marriage is just as real as yours. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)