Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

No, I will not acknowledge you as husband and wife...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Because you're not!

Seriously, this has me annoyed. I just got married, legally married, and a couple we know (my brother's good friend and his gf) are going to have a ceremony and begin calling each other husband and wife and wearing rings, but are not going to get legally married.

I have no problem with couples who want to be together forever and not marry, but if you don't want to get married, then DON'T PRETEND TO BE. Why pretend to be married, if you don't WANT to be married???

It just seems disrespectful to me, because I actually am married, and others who aren't, can just play pretend and wear the rings and use the title, knowing it's a facade. They're going to go around just lying to people for the rest of their lives. I couldn't imagine introducing my DH as my DH and telling people I'm married if I knew I really wasn't.

If you want to pretend to be married, THEN GET MARRIED.

*To clarify, we are not in a common law state, and they aren't religious, so it isn't even for being married in God's eyes.*
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 17, 2012 at 12:40 AM
Replies (621-625):
Sstrong1310
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 5:55 PM

How ignorant,  I can call my fiance whatever I want -  He is my husband to me and thats all that matters.  and FIANCE is spelled incorrectly in your post.   Whose the idiot now?

Quoting Anonymous:

Okay, if you're better off not being married right now, then why not just call him your FIANC, since that's what he is? You can't say you're engaged, and then claim he's your husband in the same sentence without sounding like an idiot. If you're engaged, then enjoy being engaged and save the title of husband and marriage for when it's really true.

Quoting Sstrong1310:

I have been engaged for three years and consider my fiancé my "husband" - we aren't legally married because I have a special needs daughter that gets ALOT of help from Medicaid with me being a single mother. If I were married she would not get the therapy she needs because of the cost. Call me what you want , my daughter comes first.

Quoting jjolsen77:

marriage is a piece of paper that allows the spouse to get health and dental benefits.... you can live a wonderful life together and never be married on paper

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 6, 2012 at 5:59 PM
A spelling error doesn't make someone an idiot, and I never called anyone an idiot anyway, so why are you implying that I have? Anyway, you can call him your husband, sure, but he still isn't. Sorry to break it to you. Saying he is, doesn't make it so.

Quoting Sstrong1310:

How ignorant,  I can call my fiance whatever I want -  He is my husband to me and thats all that matters.  and FIANCE is spelled incorrectly in your post.   Whose the idiot now?

Quoting Anonymous:

Okay, if you're better off not being married right now, then why not just call him your FIANC, since that's what he is? You can't say you're engaged, and then claim he's your husband in the same sentence without sounding like an idiot. If you're engaged, then enjoy being engaged and save the title of husband and marriage for when it's really true.

Quoting Sstrong1310:

I have been engaged for three years and consider my fiancé my "husband" - we aren't legally married because I have a special needs daughter that gets ALOT of help from Medicaid with me being a single mother. If I were married she would not get the therapy she needs because of the cost. Call me what you want , my daughter comes first.

Quoting jjolsen77:

marriage is a piece of paper that allows the spouse to get health and dental benefits.... you can live a wonderful life together and never be married on paper

Sstrong1310
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Idiot and ignorant - I have much bigger things to worry about - I can call my fiance whatever I like -

lulumomof2
by Gold Member on Sep. 17, 2012 at 5:54 PM

I don't understand why you feel its disrespectful for them to say their married when they aren't. What does it really matter to you if someone says their married when they really aren't? It doesn't make your marriage any less valid! Oh and yes I am (legally) married and have been for 14 1/2 years.

Dobermans are like Potato chips, nobody can have just one!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 17, 2012 at 5:56 PM
Yes you can, but it doesn't change facts. I'm not an idiot or ignorant. Do you know what ignorant means?

Quoting Sstrong1310:

Idiot and ignorant - I have much bigger things to worry about - I can call my fiance whatever I like -

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN