Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

1st Degree Child Abuse: GUILTY - *EDIT at bottom*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 41 Replies

Last fall, my sister had another loser boyfriend in her life- just one in a long string of loser boyfriends. She had a 4 year old daughter, and a 3 month old son- neither of the father's were in their lives, because they were again losers in a long line of losers.

Anyway, one October evening, we got a call- my nephew was in the hospital with at least 1 broken bone, and no one knew how he got it. My sister was saying she had been alone with the kids from Monday night after picking them up at the sitters, until Thursday morning, when she dropped them off at the sitters to go to work.

Instead, she was hiding the fact that her douche bag boyfriend had been living with her and the kids. It came out fairly soon when neighbors were questioned. He was hauled in, and arrested for it.

The kids were taken away from my sister, and lived with my brother for the past 10 months. My nephew is fine- he just turned 1, and is walking normally, and so far, seems to have no ill side effects of what happened.

This week, the trial finally took place.

All in all, my nephew had not 1 but 17 broken bones in his little body. (They did test him for brittle bone immediately, because of the severity, but he also had bruising around his face and legs).

He was found guilty of 1st degree child abuse, and will be sentanced in September.

It also came out that my sister has (or had at the time) a bad pill abuse problem- we kind of knew it was an issue before court, but didn't have confirmation. When she brought him into the hospital, she was given a drug test that came back positive. She's said all along they were making her do drug rehab because she takes 1 pain pill a day for a bad back. Obviously, it came out to be much worse than that.

She also had to take anger management and parenting classes over the past 10 months. She is hoping to have the kids back soon, but there are conditions she needs to meet first- an apartment with at least 2 bedrooms, but preferablly 3. She has to be current on her child support (she was ordered to pay CS to my brother through the foster care system), and she has to have a steady job.

I am hoping she can do all of this, but at the same time, I think she could use more time to complete it. I don't think she's ready for the stress of being a full time mom yet- before all of this happened, she was more of a part time mom. She constantly had other people watching the kids for days at a time while she worked, or was "not feeling good". Quite often, she'd be found out partying instead of being at work, or home sick.

Anyway, I'm happy that he was found guilty. He's looking at 25-35 years, if I recall correctly.

***I am posting anonymously to protect my identity. When it first happened, local news was tapping into my facebook, twitter, and blog posts and re-posting what I was saying, and photos I was posting.

***EDIT: Believe me when I say, nothing people are saying about my sister is new. It's ALL been said, and we've ALL gone through all the range of emotions we could possibly go through while dealing with this.

The point of the matter is, the person who perpetrated the abuse is locked up, and will be locked up for a long time. There is some talk that due to his past record, it could be even longer than what we are talking currently.

No one in our family excuses that my sister let it happen. She made a lot of mistakes when it first happened. When she was making them, she also was not aware of the severity of his injuries. Because it's next to impossible to detect broken bones in an infant, due to the density of the bone, the doctors originally only saw 1 broken bone. Then another, then another- over the course of 4 days, he went from having a fracture in his leg, to have broken "over 14 bones" (this is what we were told at the time- the fact that it wound up being 17 bones was not even released until the trial this week).

The actual abuse wasn't a matter of my nephew being beaten on. My sister still says she never saw anything bad happen, never saw anything that would cause those injuries. The abuser admitted that he was rough with my nephew in 1 single instance, and that it should not have caused even a single injury.

Unless one of them confesses as to exactly HOW the injuries happen, we have no way of knowing whether or not my sister actually saw it happen.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 17, 2012 at 3:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ButterMeUp
by Butters on Aug. 17, 2012 at 3:55 PM
3 moms liked this

What a bitch. I mean really, who the fuck let's a person do that to their baby? I love my husband to death but I'd kill his ass if he ever hurt my child out of anger. 

He is really lucky he didn't do this to my child, cause' we would have been in that house playing grit ball. 

Christygrl
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Wow, I'm glad your niece and nephew are in good hands now. Nosey reporters...

1likeme
by Gold Member on Aug. 17, 2012 at 4:01 PM
4 moms liked this
Your sister should be in prison too and her parental rights should have been terminated. Sorry but she already proved to everyone that she is an unfit parent. There is no reason good enough to subject those children to any more abuse on the off chance that she might not abuse them again.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 17, 2012 at 4:02 PM
3 moms liked this
She shouldn't get her kids back.
..Laddie..
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Poor baby boy <3 glad he's okay. Your sister should not get those children back.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 17, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Honestly? I agree with all of you about her getting the kids back. She has made shitty choices all along when it came to parenting. That said, she's worked hard over the past year, but she still has a long ways to go.

j.WoW.
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 4:14 PM
Poor baby :-(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mena929
by Gold Member on Aug. 17, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Glad he was found guilty. Poor sweet baby.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 17, 2012 at 4:20 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm glad there was justice for that sweet baby! I kinda hope she doesn't get them back. she doesn't deserve them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 17, 2012 at 4:34 PM

I was watching a little boy just a few months over a year and found out that his parents were beating him severely bad, he had shaken baby syndrome (the first time I watched him he threw up all over and continued to do that on a daily basis, but I had no idea that was symptom and chalked up as this child is just different). He had a broken bone in his for forearm and his shoulders were shearing apart (which the detective thought was from being drug up the stairs by his arms or picking him up from the floor while he was totally relaxed by his arm-FORCEFULLY) along with the two top ribs broken. After his parents did nothing but deny it they then started coming up with "Accident" stories. How many god damn accidents could you have that you forgot about to cause all of this? The detective/doctors knew they were lying and that it wasn't accidents - OBVIOUSLY! And guess what? Right before the trial they took a plea agreement and his parents were left off on probation and parenting classes. Pretty fucking sick world if you asked me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)