Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I can't afford back to school stuff so I'm going.. Updated!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

to a local church event this morning. They are giving free hair cuts, health screenings, backpacks and school supplies, food, furniture, clothes, and baby stuff. I am embarrassed to have to go and I'm hoping I don't see anyone I know. I am only picking up the things we NEED (haircuts, backpacks, shirts for dd, few items for oldest ds (ds2 is set on everything bc of hand-me-downs), and hopefully a pair of shoes for all. I feel really bad having to get stuff for free so I'm going to talk with someone from the church about bringing whatever cloths I have that my children have out grown back to the church next week so that hopefully I can help some other parent that may be in need. 

The bookbags and school supplies were gone in the first 30 minutes so I waited in line to put our names on a list incase there are more donations. Waited in line for 3 hours for haircuts and I noticed when we got home that oldest ds hair is longer on one side than the other so I will have to go pay to get it fixed. :/ oh well. 

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 18, 2012 at 7:33 AM
Replies (21-30):
imafuswb
by ★Rainbow Brite★ on Aug. 18, 2012 at 7:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Exactly!  This year alone, we've had to put $1000 into our cars, and my husband's needs more repairs - it's currently sitting dead in front of our house.  And we CAN afford our school supplies!  Think how much worse something like what we're experiencing would be to someone in OP's position.  People need to shut their anon traps sometimes...

Quoting Panty.Pirate:

Really? Don't be a bitch. You don't know her situation. Maybe she just recently fell on hard times.
Or maybe she had money saved up from taxes but unfortunately had to spend it on an unexpected car repair.
You don't know everyone's situation, so why must you ASSume? Come on now. Stuff happens.
Quoting Anonymous:

It sucks, but work on bettering your situation. You did know this day would be coming at tax time though....

nikabear
by Gold Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 7:53 AM
Nothing wrong with that because you are doing what you have to do!!! Keep your head up it will get better for you!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hplesha
by Gold Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 7:54 AM
I am going this morning too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
imafuswb
by ★Rainbow Brite★ on Aug. 18, 2012 at 7:54 AM

That really sucks ass.  :(
hugs 

Quoting Anonymous:

yes. It's a great thing they are doing for the community. I just hope people are courteous and only take the things they need. In the past few years we have volunteered at the Durham Rescue Mission. They hold a similar event but its more for the families with children that are having to live there. We are usually a paycheck to paycheck family but we are normally able to provide the needs. Our engine blew in our van and it's our only form of transportation and it took everything we had put back for school stuff and more. 

Quoting Panty.Pirate:

You must live in North Carolina, I heard about this on the news.
I think it's great.

quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 8:05 AM
That's not always the case. First of all, poverty level is way below the cost of living almost everywhere. You don't have to be in poverty to be poor. Second, not everyone gets thousands back. Not everyone uses all their deductions and credits available to them and not everyone has the correct withholdings during the year. Half the people who come in here to brag about getting $10k back are probably making it up. I do tax prep, even on a volunteer basis, and haven't seen anything like what people post on here.

Quoting Anonymous:

Word. OP will be getting thousands back if she's below poverty level.

Quoting Anonymous:

It sucks, but work on bettering your situation. You did know this day would be coming at tax time though....

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 18, 2012 at 8:17 AM

In my family's case we do get thousands back, not 10k or even close. We had a house fire at the beginning of the year and lost everything. We were technically homeless for three weeks before we filed our taxes and used the refund to relocate. 

Quoting quickbooksworm:

That's not always the case. First of all, poverty level is way below the cost of living almost everywhere. You don't have to be in poverty to be poor. Second, not everyone gets thousands back. Not everyone uses all their deductions and credits available to them and not everyone has the correct withholdings during the year. Half the people who come in here to brag about getting $10k back are probably making it up. I do tax prep, even on a volunteer basis, and haven't seen anything like what people post on here.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 8:18 AM
Insurance would have paid for that. Or reimbursed you.

Quoting Anonymous:

In my family's case we do get thousands back, not 10k or even close. We had a house fire at the beginning of the year and lost everything. We were technically homeless for three weeks before we filed our taxes and used the refund to relocate. 

Quoting quickbooksworm:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
deadlights86
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 8:18 AM
I went to two and I still had to buy stuff.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaSusieQ045
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 8:19 AM

Quoting Aeonix:

You are doing what you have to, no shame in that mama. At least you are taking care of their needs. I hope things get better for you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Aug. 18, 2012 at 8:20 AM
Don't feel bad awesome moms like you are why I donate get what you need and when you'd situation improves like mine has pay it forward. We all need help at some point in one way or another.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)