Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you think of this? 9-11, Atheists, Christians.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

As a non-religious person, I view this as art, albeit Christian in nature. I don't understand how it is offensive to Atheists, as a piece of art. Interesting debate, weigh in.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 18, 2012 at 10:46 AM
Replies (11-20):
Maks1mommy
by Ruby Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 10:57 AM
Not really.. It's something they found in the rubble...
I just don't understand why everybody gets offend about everything... Seriously.
Some just need to learn how to control their emotions.

Quoting Anonymous:

Would that have made a difference though? They're both symbolic of Christianity.

Quoting Maks1mommy:

It's a metal beam in the shape of a cross... It's not like they put a Jesus statue out there....

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
UgtaBkdnMe
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 10:58 AM

I don't care. There are crazies in every group.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:00 AM

The issue is it was a support beam made to look like a cross. It's not like the explosion made perfect laser cuts.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:01 AM
I think the whole thing is a big joke the goverment killed off thousands and now wants to say see we are makeing up for it by putting this stuff up!
miss_lisa
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:02 AM
Many museums are run by the government and have religious pieces in them. If the piece is a part of the history that museum is representing it belongs there regardless of any religious significance.

Quoting Anonymous:

If it's public land, it shouldn't be there. End of story.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kellysparkles
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:03 AM
2 moms liked this

As an atheist, I find this just boring lol.

9/11, however, is something that I still get overly emotional about to this day.  I don't get offended and ask people to take off their cross necklaces when I am in the same room as them.  If people find solace in this, then so be it. 

brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:04 AM

People should be able to view it thru their own eyes and make their determinations. I see it as artwork and a symbol for the Christian religion. I dont find it offensive. Im not a christian but I do believe in God. 

Mamaof3and1tobe
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:04 AM
This.

Quoting tessamalk:

I'm an atheist; I don't really care if the cross is there.

But I do have to wonder, would the Christian community be defending the statue if it were a symbol of a different religion, or would they want that removed?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kaffedrikke
by Gold Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:05 AM
One has freedom of not.freedom.from. I dont worship the cross but the ONE who.was ressurected. It's a cross. No one is forcing hommage to be paid, no one is making an atheist kiss it and drop money and flowers to it etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:05 AM
Thought religion and government were supposed to be separate?

Quoting miss_lisa:

Many museums are run by the government and have religious pieces in them. If the piece is a part of the history that museum is representing it belongs there regardless of any religious significance.

Quoting Anonymous:

If it's public land, it shouldn't be there. End of story.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured