Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What do you think of this? 9-11, Atheists, Christians.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

As a non-religious person, I view this as art, albeit Christian in nature. I don't understand how it is offensive to Atheists, as a piece of art. Interesting debate, weigh in.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 18, 2012 at 10:46 AM
Replies (11-20):
Maks1mommy
by Ruby Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 10:57 AM
Not really.. It's something they found in the rubble...
I just don't understand why everybody gets offend about everything... Seriously.
Some just need to learn how to control their emotions.

Quoting Anonymous:

Would that have made a difference though? They're both symbolic of Christianity.

Quoting Maks1mommy:

It's a metal beam in the shape of a cross... It's not like they put a Jesus statue out there....

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
UgtaBkdnMe
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 10:58 AM

I don't care. There are crazies in every group.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:00 AM

The issue is it was a support beam made to look like a cross. It's not like the explosion made perfect laser cuts.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:01 AM
I think the whole thing is a big joke the goverment killed off thousands and now wants to say see we are makeing up for it by putting this stuff up!
miss_lisa
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:02 AM
Many museums are run by the government and have religious pieces in them. If the piece is a part of the history that museum is representing it belongs there regardless of any religious significance.

Quoting Anonymous:

If it's public land, it shouldn't be there. End of story.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kellysparkles
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:03 AM
2 moms liked this

As an atheist, I find this just boring lol.

9/11, however, is something that I still get overly emotional about to this day.  I don't get offended and ask people to take off their cross necklaces when I am in the same room as them.  If people find solace in this, then so be it. 

brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:04 AM

People should be able to view it thru their own eyes and make their determinations. I see it as artwork and a symbol for the Christian religion. I dont find it offensive. Im not a christian but I do believe in God. 

Mamaof3and1tobe
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:04 AM
This.

Quoting tessamalk:

I'm an atheist; I don't really care if the cross is there.

But I do have to wonder, would the Christian community be defending the statue if it were a symbol of a different religion, or would they want that removed?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kaffedrikke
by Gold Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:05 AM
One has freedom of not.freedom.from. I dont worship the cross but the ONE who.was ressurected. It's a cross. No one is forcing hommage to be paid, no one is making an atheist kiss it and drop money and flowers to it etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:05 AM
Thought religion and government were supposed to be separate?

Quoting miss_lisa:

Many museums are run by the government and have religious pieces in them. If the piece is a part of the history that museum is representing it belongs there regardless of any religious significance.

Quoting Anonymous:

If it's public land, it shouldn't be there. End of story.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)