Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What do you think of this? 9-11, Atheists, Christians.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

As a non-religious person, I view this as art, albeit Christian in nature. I don't understand how it is offensive to Atheists, as a piece of art. Interesting debate, weigh in.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 18, 2012 at 10:46 AM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:06 AM
1 mom liked this
As an athiest I could care less really, 9-11 was a horrible thing to happen and if some people see it as a sign so be it. It's just rubble to me. I respect people's right to believe in whatever they want, it's when they push their values on others that I have an issue.
lovemyairman150
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:07 AM
It would have made a difference. Without Jesus up there, it's open to each individual's interpretation of it. If you were to add Jesus then atheists could argue that Christian beliefs are being forced on them.

Quoting Anonymous:

Would that have made a difference though? They're both symbolic of Christianity.

Quoting Maks1mommy:

It's a metal beam in the shape of a cross... It's not like they put a Jesus statue out there....

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kaffedrikke
by Gold Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:07 AM
1 mom liked this
Thats why some so called Christians drive me batty. Obviously it wae not just Christians who died on that day. Where is their memorial?

Quoting Mamaof3and1tobe:

This.

Quoting tessamalk:

I'm an atheist; I don't really care if the cross is there.

But I do have to wonder, would the Christian community be defending the statue if it were a symbol of a different religion, or would they want that removed?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashellbell
by Gold Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:07 AM
Atheist here. No issue.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sweet_Faith
by Ruby Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:07 AM
2 moms liked this

It's really ridiculous, if you drive by any spot where some one's been killed in an automobile accident there will be a cross there too, is there really a difference, why should this be any different? It's a memorial for those who lost their lives, nothing wrong with that!

miss_lisa
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Nope, the law states that "Congress shall make no law respecting the establishment of religion". Would you have the Holocaust museum in DC remove all pieces that symbolize the Jewish faith?

Having a piece in a museum that is of religious significance does not equate to the government supporting that religion.

Quoting Anonymous:

Thought religion and government were supposed to be separate?

Quoting miss_lisa:

Many museums are run by the government and have religious pieces in them. If the piece is a part of the history that museum is representing it belongs there regardless of any religious significance.

Quoting Anonymous:

If it's public land, it shouldn't be there. End of story.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alwayskk
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't really care, BUT, why would we place a cross on a public building? Especially where many, many muslims died along with Christians?

I don't care as an atheist. I care as a human being. That's incredibly self-interested and disrespectful to the many, MANY different faiths of the victims from that day.

Mamaof3and1tobe
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:10 AM
Exactly but Christianity always overrules.

Quoting kaffedrikke:

Thats why some so called Christians drive me batty. Obviously it wae not just Christians who died on that day. Where is their memorial?

Quoting Mamaof3and1tobe:

This.

Quoting tessamalk:

I'm an atheist; I don't really care if the cross is there.

But I do have to wonder, would the Christian community be defending the statue if it were a symbol of a different religion, or would they want that removed?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:11 AM
4 moms liked this

I often wonder how awesome the World would be if Atheists put their money and resources into something good rather than constantly fighting against something they don't think exists anyway?

wittyscreenname
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Isn't it just the way the beams were or something?

Honestly, I don't see what the big deal is. It's not like someone went and made it and put it there.....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)