Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What do you think of this? 9-11, Atheists, Christians.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

As a non-religious person, I view this as art, albeit Christian in nature. I don't understand how it is offensive to Atheists, as a piece of art. Interesting debate, weigh in.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 18, 2012 at 10:46 AM
Replies (31-40):
Ms.Pteranodon
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Yes but you can't remove religion from history just so the two can be separate. Just like how the theory of evolution is taught in schools. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Thought religion and government were supposed to be separate?

Quoting miss_lisa:

Many museums are run by the government and have religious pieces in them. If the piece is a part of the history that museum is representing it belongs there regardless of any religious significance.

Quoting Anonymous:

If it's public land, it shouldn't be there. End of story.

wittyscreenname
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:13 AM

If I'm not mistaken, it was part of the building.....

Quoting Anonymous:

Check out my blog The Mommy Chronicles
Follow me on my weight loss journey Chronicles of a Fat Girl
Like us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter @MomyChronicles

mama2beautiesnb
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:15 AM
1 mom liked this

leave it. it isnt hurting anyone.

miss_lisa
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:15 AM
It's a part of the rubble and the building. If they found other religious pieces I'd also support them being there. To me while a museum might be a public building it's also telling stories about history and this cross carries a story an was an actual part of what happened.

I'm agnostic and while most of the time I don't think religious symbols are appropriate for public buildings I do think museums are the exception.

Quoting alwayskk:

I don't really care, BUT, why would we place a cross on a public building? Especially where many, many muslims died along with Christians?

I don't care as an atheist. I care as a human being. That's incredibly self-interested and disrespectful to the many, MANY different faiths of the victims from that day.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alwayskk
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Quoting wittyscreenname:

If I'm not mistaken, it was part of the building.....

Quoting Anonymous:

I just want to clarify something. It was found in the debris, taken from the debris, cleaned up, and then displayed.

It's not simply standing where it was found.

Mamaof3and1tobe
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:17 AM
Its not taught where I live. The teacher gets to choose if he or she will teach it or not. My biology teacher told us if we wanted to learn about it then we needed to research it for ourselves.

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Yes but you can't remove religion from history just so the two can be separate. Just like how the theory of evolution is taught in schools. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting miss_lisa:

Many museums are run by the government and have religious pieces in them. If the piece is a part of the history that museum is representing it belongs there regardless of any religious significance.

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama2beautiesnb
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:17 AM

i would. in fact, i think that every religion should be represented there somehow.

Quoting tessamalk:

I'm an atheist; I don't really care if the cross is there.

But I do have to wonder, would the Christian community be defending the statue if it were a symbol of a different religion, or would they want that removed?

Ms.Pteranodon
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Maybe because someone from that religion didn't make one?

I wouldn't be offended if a Jewish family had lost a loved one and made the Star of David, out of the rubble. The only religious symbol that I think would be offensive to 9-11 victims is Muslim symbols.. 

Quoting kaffedrikke:

Thats why some so called Christians drive me batty. Obviously it wae not just Christians who died on that day. Where is their memorial?

Quoting Mamaof3and1tobe:

This.

Quoting tessamalk:

I'm an atheist; I don't really care if the cross is there.

But I do have to wonder, would the Christian community be defending the statue if it were a symbol of a different religion, or would they want that removed?

alwayskk
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:17 AM

It's part of the rubble, it was not a cross. They're taking what looks like a cross and putting it on display for a reason, not by chance.

They're being exclusionary on purpose.

Quoting miss_lisa:

It's a part of the rubble and the building. If they found other religious pieces I'd also support them being there. To me while a museum might be a public building it's also telling stories about history and this cross carries a story an was an actual part of what happened.

I'm agnostic and while most of the time I don't think religious symbols are appropriate for public buildings I do think museums are the exception.

Quoting alwayskk:

I don't really care, BUT, why would we place a cross on a public building? Especially where many, many muslims died along with Christians?

I don't care as an atheist. I care as a human being. That's incredibly self-interested and disrespectful to the many, MANY different faiths of the victims from that day.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Evolution is science.

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting miss_lisa:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN