Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What do you think of this? 9-11, Atheists, Christians.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

As a non-religious person, I view this as art, albeit Christian in nature. I don't understand how it is offensive to Atheists, as a piece of art. Interesting debate, weigh in.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 18, 2012 at 10:46 AM
Replies (41-50):
wittyscreenname
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Gotcha....I wasn't sure. Thanks for clearing that up.

Quoting alwayskk:

Quoting wittyscreenname:

If I'm not mistaken, it was part of the building.....

Quoting Anonymous:

If it's public land, it shouldn't be there. End of story.

I just want to clarify something. It was found in the debris, taken from the debris, cleaned up, and then displayed.

It's not simply standing where it was found.

Check out my blog The Mommy Chronicles
Follow me on my weight loss journey Chronicles of a Fat Girl
Like us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter @MomyChronicles

ccnstanczak
by Gold Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:18 AM

this was posted about the other night and i went to post and it deleted before i got to post my reply (ugh)

anyway. this is just one out of thousands of items that is in the memorial.

its part of the history of the search and rescue days after 9/11. it gave hope and inspiration to families and survivers and resucures.

here is a link http://timeline.national911memorial.org/#/Explore/3/Entry/587/3

and i cant copy/paste the pic but the caption says:

Recovery workers write on the steel to mark specific union affiliations, responder units, and victims' names.

it should NOT be removed

Piskie
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:19 AM
3 moms liked this
It was part of the rubble yes, but that's not what it is now
It is a religious icon to many of one faith.... Which is not suitable for a public memorial. Public... For all... That is very definitely of one faith, and no one faith should be put where so many of different faiths died. That site should remember all of them, and that doesn't.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ms.Pteranodon
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Ummm. I'm pretty sure it is apart of state standards...However, teachers are taught to teach it as a theory and how the theory being suggested changed the course of history. 

I bet your teacher could have been fired. 

Quoting Mamaof3and1tobe:

Its not taught where I live. The teacher gets to choose if he or she will teach it or not. My biology teacher told us if we wanted to learn about it then we needed to research it for ourselves.

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Yes but you can't remove religion from history just so the two can be separate. Just like how the theory of evolution is taught in schools. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Thought religion and government were supposed to be separate?

Quoting miss_lisa:

Many museums are run by the government and have religious pieces in them. If the piece is a part of the history that museum is representing it belongs there regardless of any religious significance.

Quoting Anonymous:

TSNDDY
by Ruby Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:20 AM
It's not art it's a piece of the wreckage. I think it's silly to find such significance in it because pretty much all beams are cross beams..
I'm pretty sure there were 100s of pieces of wreckage that looked like a cross.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HotMichMomma
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:21 AM
I am agnostic... I refuse to affiliate wit atheists because I think that, like any other group, even though there are a lot of intelligent members there are also a lot of intolerant assholes that just want to stir up trouble.

Even though I don't believe, I respect all others that do because that is what everyone ought to do.

In trying times or times of hardship I may tend to use logic and reason to cope but for others of religious background, they may use a symbol such as this as a way to deal with grief and move past a tragedy who am I to tell them they can't?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LucyHarper
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:21 AM

It gives some people hope and for those who don't believe in it, its not hurting them, its not offending them or making fun of their beliefs, so why would they sue for it to be taken down. What is even their case, what law are they breaking for having it in a museum, have they never been to museums before, most have plenty of crosses. Tell them to never go uptown to the Metropolitan, they have religious paintings and statues everywhere there. 

miss_lisa
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:22 AM
Do you know that they don't have any other religious symbols or found any other religious symbols in the rubble to display?

To me and you it's just rubble, but to some of those who were there during that time it was more than that. In a museum their stories have a right to be represented as well as others. That's the purpose of the museum.

Quoting alwayskk:

It's part of the rubble, it was not a cross. They're taking what looks like a cross and putting it on display for a reason, not by chance.

They're being exclusionary on purpose.

Quoting miss_lisa:

It's a part of the rubble and the building. If they found other religious pieces I'd also support them being there. To me while a museum might be a public building it's also telling stories about history and this cross carries a story an was an actual part of what happened.

I'm agnostic and while most of the time I don't think religious symbols are appropriate for public buildings I do think museums are the exception.

Quoting alwayskk:

I don't really care, BUT, why would we place a cross on a public building? Especially where many, many muslims died along with Christians?

I don't care as an atheist. I care as a human being. That's incredibly self-interested and disrespectful to the many, MANY different faiths of the victims from that day.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Why? A lot of innocent muslims died that day.

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Maybe because someone from that religion didn't make one?

I wouldn't be offended if a Jewish family had lost a loved one and made the Star of David, out of the rubble. The only religious symbol that I think would be offensive to 9-11 victims is Muslim symbols.. 

Quoting kaffedrikke:

Thats why some so called Christians drive me batty. Obviously it wae not just Christians who died on that day. Where is their memorial?

Quoting Mamaof3and1tobe:

This.

Quoting tessamalk:

I'm an atheist; I don't really care if the cross is there.

But I do have to wonder, would the Christian community be defending the statue if it were a symbol of a different religion, or would they want that removed?

Mamaof3and1tobe
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:23 AM
I live in Arkansas. Majority rules here. That majority is Christians and they run our state

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Ummm. I'm pretty sure it is apart of state standards...However, teachers are taught to teach it as a theory and how the theory being suggested changed the course of history. 

I bet your teacher could have been fired. 

Quoting Mamaof3and1tobe:

Its not taught where I live. The teacher gets to choose if he or she will teach it or not. My biology teacher told us if we wanted to learn about it then we needed to research it for ourselves.

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Yes but you can't remove religion from history just so the two can be separate. Just like how the theory of evolution is taught in schools. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Thought religion and government were supposed to be separate?

Quoting miss_lisa:

Many museums are run by the government and have religious pieces in them. If the piece is a part of the history that museum is representing it belongs there regardless of any religious significance.

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)