Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Complete liver failure and hospice, anyone else dealt with this??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 23 Replies
I just found out my dad has complete liver failure and is not eligible for a transplant so the doctor suggested hospice care. The doctor said he has weeks, maybe months. I want to know if anyone else has gone through this with a family member. I just don't know what to expect. can a person realistically live months without a liver? Were they in a lot of pain? Doctor said my dad can't have pain meds because without a liver his body cant handle it so will hospice still control his pain?? Any insight would be very appreciated, I hate not knowing.. Oh and I'm only going anon because my font is small and light and I'm on my phone so I can't change it, I'm mackiebugsmom..
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:36 AM
Sorry I thought my font would change with anon, I never use it, lol

Quoting Anonymous:

I just found out my dad has complete liver failure and is not eligible for a transplant so the doctor suggested hospice care. The doctor said he has weeks, maybe months. I want to know if anyone else has gone through this with a family member. I just don't know what to expect. can a person realistically live months without a liver? Were they in a lot of pain? Doctor said my dad can't have pain meds because without a liver his body cant handle it so will hospice still control his pain?? Any insight would be very appreciated, I hate not knowing.. Oh and I'm only going anon because my font is small and light and I'm on my phone so I can't change it, I'm mackiebugsmom..
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:43 AM
Bump
Sweet_Faith
by Ruby Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:45 AM
1 mom liked this

I haven't been through this and pray I never have to be and so sorry you have to go through this, my prayers are with you and your dad, hugs.

mom22angels38
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:49 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your dad. :(. My step-dad was in hospice care for lung cancer. It's hard for me to compare the two, because they did give him pain meds. He was completely out of it most of the time. He had one day of clarity and I started getting my hopes up for a miracle. He passed away the next day. I hope someone can give you better insight. That's all the experience I have with hospice to share with you. I don't know anything about liver failure. I'm sorry. Hopefully someone who has experience with this type of situation will stumble in here and give you the information you're looking for.. ((hugs))
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AllofFive19
by Ruby Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:49 AM

I haven't gone through a family member with liver failure, but I'm going through one with lung cancer right now, and I've been through one with colon cancer. Both having hospice. It's rough and I feel for you.

I googled something for you that might help with knowing:

http://forums.bettermedicine.com/showthread.php/30-last-stage-liver-failure

TrouserMouse
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:50 AM

I watched someone die from liver failure.  I will just say it is a horrile thing to watch.  I'm sorry.  :(

Aichia
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:55 AM
I used to work in the dementia field & had regular interactions with Hospice.

Are you looking at for profit or non profit options?
In home care or facility care? If you do in home care do you have space for him & the equipment he will need?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:57 AM
That was helpful, thank you.

Quoting AllofFive19:

I haven't gone through a family member with liver failure, but I'm going through one with lung cancer right now, and I've been through one with colon cancer. Both having hospice. It's rough and I feel for you.

I googled something for you that might help with knowing:

http://forums.bettermedicine.com/showthread.php/30-last-stage-liver-failure

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:58 AM

My father had the same problem, fortunately his heart gave out before his liver.   They are in a lot of pain but are adequately sedated.  The hospice company can answer all of your questions.  Ours was very helpful.  My father died exactly 2 months after he was put in hospice.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 18, 2012 at 12:00 PM
Right now he just wants to be home, we do have the room so it's an option but he is willing to look at the hospice home. He really just wants to be home though.

Quoting Aichia:

I used to work in the dementia field & had regular interactions with Hospice.

Are you looking at for profit or non profit options?

In home care or facility care? If you do in home care do you have space for him & the equipment he will need?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)