Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Transitioning

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies
My 4 year old daughter is having a really hard time transitioning to pre-k. I have been a sahm since she was born and I feel bad because she is there 8 hours a day and she is really overwhelmed. Idk why they made all day pre-k mandatory. Last night she was like "I can't go mommy. I miss you too much" in tears. Idk what to do. Is anyone else having this problem?
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 22, 2012 at 5:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
momo3fgr8tteens
by Ruby Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 5:17 PM

eight hours?wow! pre-k is not mandatory here. I guess she will get use to it : (.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 22, 2012 at 5:22 PM
I guess it's really 6 1/2 lol. I may be over dramatizing. It used to only be mandatory for a half day. Now full day pre-k is mandatory here

Quoting momo3fgr8tteens:

eight hours?wow! pre-k is not mandatory here. I guess she will get use to it : (.

momo3fgr8tteens
by Ruby Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 5:26 PM

What state is that? I don't think 4 year olds should be in school all day. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I guess it's really 6 1/2 lol. I may be over dramatizing. It used to only be mandatory for a half day. Now full day pre-k is mandatory here

Quoting momo3fgr8tteens:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 22, 2012 at 5:40 PM
Oklahoma. She has to pass pre-k to move onto kindergarten.

Quoting momo3fgr8tteens:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting momo3fgr8tteens:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 22, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Ummm...preschool is not mandatory. Correct me if I'm wrong, I know I could be, but I'm pretty sure it's not. 

momo3fgr8tteens
by Ruby Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 5:43 PM

I don't agree with that philosophy.  Four year olds are not ready to spend the entire day at school yet in my opinion. My kids did half day kindergarten and they are doing great in school now. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Oklahoma. She has to pass pre-k to move onto kindergarten.

Quoting momo3fgr8tteens:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting momo3fgr8tteens:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 22, 2012 at 5:50 PM
I could in theory home school her and deal with this next year but there are mandatory requirements to move on to kindergarten. I have the list at home. She has to count to 20, be able to tell a letter from a word, know 18 lower case and capital letters etc. she has to pass tests to show she knows it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Ummm...preschool is not mandatory. Correct me if I'm wrong, I know I could be, but I'm pretty sure it's not. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 23, 2012 at 9:57 AM
Bump
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)