Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Open house tonight- do you go to these things?

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 6:35 PM
  • 121 Replies

Do you dress to impress or just show up? Do you care what other mom's/families think? Do you know any of the other parents in your child's school? Do you do PTA, or volunteer?

We just moved into a new school district and I'm dreading this... but I AM interested in hearing what they have to say about the "plan" for the school year and talking with the teacher about my son's adjustment so far...

My husband keeps asking if we have to go....

Update: I dressed business casual, my husband wore nicer jeans and a button up top. I had my son change his dirty shirt. We listened to a 30 minute presentation of what the school was doing this year, and learned about new staff members- and then went to the classroom for a 20 minute presentation in my son's classroom that covered his classroom expectations, a syllabus, and some other basic information.

Afterward I talked with the teacher for a few minutes about DS's adjustment to the new school, and how well he was behaving. He seems to be doing okay. I volunteered for the three different class parties, each one in a different capacity, and offered to drive on field trips. We signed up for the PTA, and next week we'll sign DS up for Scouts- my husband signed up to be a parent volunteer for that- we don't know yet what he'll be doing because he said he'd do w/e.

I just can't stand the catty mom's and the "MY son is in Gifted and Talented... how about YOURS??" kind of stuff. I heard it all throughout the hallways.

I did like one responder suggested... smile and nod, smile and nod... :)

by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 6:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 23, 2012 at 6:36 PM

you should go.  you should meet the PTO, find out about volunteering, and plans they have for the school.

babiegurl47
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 6:36 PM

I didnt dress up. Neither did the other moms. I was there for about 20 mins bc ds is new to this school and I wanted to know what was going on but other than that it was very relaxed. I do know the other parents in ds's school bc we are all stationed together and its a military school.

hddcooper
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 6:37 PM
Ours was Tuesday and it was right after work so I had on scrubs. Didn't appear as if anyone else dressed up either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 23, 2012 at 6:37 PM
My mom used to go all the time.
crazytexan
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 6:38 PM
We only have a meet the teacher night. Thats when we find out who their teachers are and drop off their school supplies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jenmeehan11
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 6:38 PM
Yes, we go. I know lots of the families and kids. I dress casually and no, I don't care what other people think. Yes, I volunteer. For too much sometimes lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jarjim
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Yes, we go. I don't really dress up. I'm on the PTA and volunteer often. 

NoahandEliza
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 6:39 PM
I go and I dress nicely. I don't necessarily care what others think, but I'm not that skanky woman with the dirty kids. I don't do pta, I'm not big on the cliquey mom group. I do volunteer and do field trips and what not. I think you should go at least to check everything out and get familiarized.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 23, 2012 at 6:39 PM
I always go to those type of things even if I don't really want to. I think parents that don't show up just because they don't want to are pretty crappy. It is different if you have to work or have a reasonable reason not to go.
over40bride
by Gold Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 6:39 PM
1 mom liked this

You really should go. You don't have to dress up.

The teachers really like to see which parents have a vested interest in their children's educations and the meetings are very informative. 

I still go and my DD is a freshman in high school

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)