Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Who should have to pay for this? What happens if i refuse?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 119 Replies
1 mom liked this
We are in a ridiculous custody battle for my step kids, against the grandparents. Right now, we have split 50/50 custody, pending the end of all these court dates, for the real decision. We live 600 miles apart. The grandparents want us to pay for the kids to get back to them. We paid for them to get here, they need to pay for them to get back.... The custody agreement specifies that we split the costs. Thus, we pay when they come, they pay when they go back.... It is not my problem that they are poor and cant afford it.

Am i wrong for refusing to pay their share? What happens if they cant afford to come get them, is it them that violated the order, or is it us for not returning them??
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 24, 2012 at 6:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thefiregoddess
by Optimus Prime on Aug. 24, 2012 at 6:38 PM
I don't know. My daughters grandparents pulled this shit too.except they are rich and I'm the poor one.

It's their responsibility. However you could pay and show in court they couldn't afford it.

A judge may go either way on who is violating what.

Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rosaleeandtwo
by Gold Member on Aug. 24, 2012 at 6:40 PM
14 moms liked this
I don't know. What the hell state allows grandparents joint custody and how did they get it to begin with?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 24, 2012 at 6:40 PM
3 moms liked this

it is them that is violating the order. Thats when you call the courts  and let them know so if nothing comes on you.

StevensCare4u
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 6:42 PM
2 moms liked this

Why are the Grandparents any part of a custody order? They are NOT their children. That should never have been agreed to, thats the problem. IMO

StevensCare4u
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Thats what IM wondering? Doesnt make sense & I would NEVER agree to it. If the grandparents want to see the children THEY pay for it all. They are not those kids parents. PERIOD

Quoting rosaleeandtwo:

I don't know. What the hell state allows grandparents joint custody and how did they get it to begin with?

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Aug. 24, 2012 at 6:44 PM
1 mom liked this

In some states grandparents can have custody/visitation if they are a very important part of their grandkids lives from the very beginning.......... especially if they have had custody of the children for a portion of their life.

Quoting StevensCare4u:

Why are the Grandparents any part of a custody order? They are NOT their children. That should never have been agreed to, thats the problem. IMO

Starburst72
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 6:45 PM
3 moms liked this

oh what a mess

Kodysmommy928
by Platinum Member on Aug. 24, 2012 at 6:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Why don't you have full custody of your kids?
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 24, 2012 at 6:46 PM
It is a crazy long story, but basically, they stole the kids, filed for custody, received temporary custody, and then went on a the run with them. We have been fighting for 3 years, thru 5 different states (because most states have a jurisdiction law, that the kids have to be there for 6 months, before they can hear the case, so every time the 6 months was almost up, they would move again.) We finally have them pinned down in idaho, and have a court order stating they cant leave the state, until this is resolved, but the judge granted split temporary custody with them, since they have had the kids for the last 3 years... Its supposed to help the kids transition back home or some ridiculous thing like that. Because of all this drama they caused, i dont have a lick of sympathy for them, and am not going to be helping them pay for travel...

Quoting rosaleeandtwo:

PEEK05
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 6:46 PM
2 moms liked this

I wouldn't pay their share.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured