Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

No Poo??

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2012 at 1:22 AM
  • 11 Replies

I need some info from the ladies doing it. 

How will it affect my color treated hair??

I also have dandruff (nothing seems to help much). What will it do for that??

by on Aug. 25, 2012 at 1:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momma-flynn
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2012 at 1:24 AM
I don't color my hair but have heard that color lasts longer. My natural color is more vibrant. I have not had dandruff since I started (May) & so I don't know how winter will affect my hair yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EAzizM
by Erica on Aug. 25, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Dh keeps saying all the product and shampoo is making my dandruff worse... I am starting to believe it...

What is your schedule? What do you wash with and how often??

Quoting momma-flynn:

I don't color my hair but have heard that color lasts longer. My natural color is more vibrant. I have not had dandruff since I started (May) & so I don't know how winter will affect my hair yet.

momma-flynn
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2012 at 1:27 AM
1 mom liked this
http://www.loving-it-raw.com/no-poo.html
This is a good blog to read
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shermy
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Look in to it for color treated hair. I do believe it can cause issues with the color (fades).  I think it might be the vinegar rinse?

Dandruff was the reason I started doing it.  My dandruff is gone.  I honestly can't imagine going back to shampoo and conditioner (I just had to use conditioner a few months back and it SUCKED. My hair felt gross, and covered in scum - it felt soft, but like it was covered in soap scum. With the no poo, it feels soft and clean)

To answer your later questions not directed at me

I wash my hair once every 4-5 days. Which is the same as with shampoo and conditioner. That didn't change. 

I use one tablespoon of baking soda for every cup of water (I usually do two cups/16oz). I have thick hair and want to make sure I get every inch of my scalp. Then, I use one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar for every cup of water (I do the same 16oz). Instead of doing just the ends, I use the vinegar rinse for most of my hair and a TINY bit of my scalp (around the ears, base of neck and by my forehead) for me it helps with keeping my hair less greasy. I have heard that for others using the vinegar at the scalp can make it MORE greasy. I don't rinse my vinegar out except just a little run through of my roots.

momma-flynn
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2012 at 1:31 AM
1 mom liked this
I usually wash on Weds & Sat. I use 1 tbs baking soda mixed with 1 cup warm water. I have 2 small juice bottles (like a Gatorade bottles) that I keep in the shower. I drilled holes in the lids & just shake it over my head. To condition I mix 1 tbs acv, a little honey & lemon juice with water. That goes in my second bottle. On my non washing days I rinse with water& massage my scalp under the water flow in the shower.

Quoting EAzizM:

Dh keeps saying all the product and shampoo is making my dandruff worse... I am starting to believe it...

What is your schedule? What do you wash with and how often??

Quoting momma-flynn:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EAzizM
by Erica on Aug. 25, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Thank you! I have suffered from dandruff FOREVER and no shampoo helps. If this will help me get rid of it, I am all for it. =)

Quoting Shermy:

Look in to it for color treated hair. I do believe it can cause issues with the color (fades).  I think it might be the vinegar rinse?

Dandruff was the reason I started doing it.  My dandruff is gone.  I honestly can't imagine going back to shampoo and conditioner (I just had to use conditioner a few months back and it SUCKED. My hair felt gross, and covered in scum - it felt soft, but like it was covered in soap scum. With the no poo, it feels soft and clean)

I wash my hair once every 4-5 days. Which is the same as with shampoo and conditioner. That didn't change. 

I use one tablespoon of baking soda for every cup of water (I usually do two cups/16oz). I have thick hair and want to make sure I get every inch of my scalp. Then, I use one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar for every cup of water (I do the same 16oz). Instead of doing just the ends, I use the vinegar rinse for most of my hair and a TINY bit of my scalp (around the ears, base of neck and by my forehead) for me it helps with keeping my hair less greasy. I have heard that for others using the vinegar at the scalp can make it MORE greasy. I don't rinse my vinegar out except just a little run through of my roots.

Shermy
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Don't expect a cure all, but for me personally, this has really been a fantastic switch. 

Quoting EAzizM:

Thank you! I have suffered from dandruff FOREVER and no shampoo helps. If this will help me get rid of it, I am all for it. =)

Quoting Shermy:

EAzizM
by Erica on Aug. 25, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Lol I know nothing is guaranteed but what do I have to lose, right??

Quoting Shermy:

Don't expect a cure all, but for me personally, this has really been a fantastic switch. 

Quoting EAzizM:

Quoting Shermy:

Shermy
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2012 at 1:58 AM

That was kind of my thought -- why  not try it? It isn't like you couldn't go back.

Quoting EAzizM:

Quoting Shermy:

Quoting EAzizM:

Quoting Shermy:

EAzizM
by Erica on Aug. 25, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Right?? And its not like I can get get dandruff again! Lmao

Do you have before and after pics??

Quoting Shermy:

That was kind of my thought -- why  not try it? It isn't like you couldn't go back.

Quoting EAzizM:

Quoting Shermy:

Quoting EAzizM:

Quoting Shermy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN