Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

speech therapy for SD

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies

My SD is 6 years old and starting first grade in a couple of weeks.  She can't really say her J sounds, she says it like a Z. for example my son's name is Joey and she pronounces it "Zoey", or the word magic is "mazick"  And she also can't say the "Sh" sounds, for example shower sounds like "sour", Sure sounds like "sir".  We realize she is quite young and still getting stuff figured out as far as words and sounds go, but I'm wondering what age they would generally start speech therapy for that sort of thing. I think I started speech therapy for a little bit of a lisp in 2nd grade. DH wants to aske her mom if she has looked into wether she will need speech therapy or not, but before he asks he wants to know about what age it's normally addressed. Anybody know?

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 26, 2012 at 12:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Djinn83
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2012 at 12:16 PM
School age. Ask to school to test her. All public schools have speech therapists now. Just say you want her evaluated.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 26, 2012 at 12:18 PM

first grade isn't too early?

Quoting Djinn83:

School age. Ask to school to test her. All public schools have speech therapists now. Just say you want her evaluated.

rosemagic01
by Ruby Member on Aug. 26, 2012 at 12:19 PM

My son is going into 1st. He's been going to outside the school speech therapy (because I refuse to have him pulled from class for it) Since April. You can do it any time you want.

Pnukey
by on Aug. 26, 2012 at 12:20 PM

If it's developmentally normal to have trouble with those sounds at her age, they wouldn't start speech. If she's behind, they will. I was in speech from Kindergarten until 12th grade so I could learn how to say "sssssssss."  I think I didn't have the best teachers in the beginning, or it wouldn't have taken so long.

poohsmomma09
by on Aug. 26, 2012 at 12:24 PM
My sonhas been in speech sence he was 3 months old
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof6nokc
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2012 at 12:26 PM

The /sh/ sound generally comes in around the 6th year. 

The /z/ sound is later developing, somewhere in the 8th year. 

A child may be able to articulate these sounds before the average, but after the norm then a speech therapist might consider therapy for the child.

Does your SD use the /sh/ or /z/ sound correctly in any position of words, ie can she say /sh/ if it's at the beginning of a word or end?

Does she recognize the difference in how /sh/ sounds from /s/?

If you said /soo/ instead of /shoe/ would she hear the difference?

If your SD is able to occasionally make the correct sound or if she hears the difference in the correct sound vs. the incorrect sound then that means the sound is "emerging".  A speech therapist is likely to take a wait and see attitude.  If your SD never prounounces the sounds correctly or doesn't seem to notice the difference than a speech therapist may choose to go ahead and get started.

It's very dear to me, the issue of gay marriage.  Or, as I like to call it:  'marriage'.  You know, because I had lunch this afternoon, not gay lunch.  I parked my car, I didn't gay park it." 

~Liz Feldman~

Kris_PBG
by on Aug. 26, 2012 at 12:26 PM
Ask for her teacher to put her up for a speech evaluation at school.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 26, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Why does a 3 month old need speech????

Quoting poohsmomma09:

My sonhas been in speech sence he was 3 months old

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 26, 2012 at 12:32 PM

she can't sat the sh sound correctly in any word.  She can say the Z sound, but she can't say the J sound.  Instead of the J shound she says the Z sound.  For examply she calls our son wose name is Joey, Zoey.  and it the middle of the word magic, she says a Z, like mazick.  I'm not sure if she notices the difference when we say it... when we try to coach her on it she can't seem to correct it.

Quoting momof6nokc:

The /sh/ sound generally comes in around the 6th year. 

The /z/ sound is later developing, somewhere in the 8th year. 

A child may be able to articulate these sounds before the average, but after the norm then a speech therapist might consider therapy for the child.

Does your SD use the /sh/ or /z/ sound correctly in any position of words, ie can she say /sh/ if it's at the beginning of a word or end?

Does she recognize the difference in how /sh/ sounds from /s/?

If you said /soo/ instead of /shoe/ would she hear the difference?

If your SD is able to occasionally make the correct sound or if she hears the difference in the correct sound vs. the incorrect sound then that means the sound is "emerging".  A speech therapist is likely to take a wait and see attitude.  If your SD never prounounces the sounds correctly or doesn't seem to notice the difference than a speech therapist may choose to go ahead and get started.

poohsmomma09
by on Aug. 26, 2012 at 12:32 PM
Ecause the earlier you start the better you are my son has cleft lip and palate
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)