Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My son needs speech therapy and I just don't know how I can afford it UPDATE

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 193 Replies

My son just had a speech evaluation today. He's two years old and I thought he was doing just fine, but his pediatrician has been up my ass about speech therapy for 6 months now so today I took him. He says 15 or 20 words, but no one else can understand him except me and dh. He uses two word sentences and understands everything. He follows two step directions. I was really floored when the speech therapist told me he was at the level of a 15 month old. What? Who's 15 month old? Seriously are they just trying to find reasons to collect money? He is a little behind where his sister was at this age, but not by much. The speech therapist wants to see him every week. I don't know how I could begin to afford that. If I cancel my cable  and interenet that will only pay for half and my husband needs to be able to check his work email. I don't have any extras to cancel. My daughter starts preschool next week and that is $95 a month. I feel like it's ridiculous, but then what if I'm wrong? Ugh I just don't know what to do. I'm going to call and ask how many weeks she expects to have to see him but, I just don't know how to find the money. If I just feel like if I make the wrong choice it could be a huge deal later.

To clarify we do have insurance but I can't afford 4 copays a month. 

I appreciate every one's advice, and I've been googling like mad. I looked up Headstart but it's only available to low income people in my area and we won't qualify for that. 

The school and health department offer a free at home kit I can pick up but I can't find anything about therapy. I'm still looking though. Thank you.

UPDATE

Thank you everyone for you help and suggestions. Someone was able to give me the number for early intervention and I just spoke to them. Unfortunately my insurance doesn't qualify me for early intervention in my state because they will not cover 30% of the total. Also it is not free. The said based on our income it would be $30.00 a session and that is only if I could get the insurance to cover the 30%, which they already said no to. 

I feel like the more research I do the more frustrated I become . I really do appreciate every one's help though, so thank you again.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 27, 2012 at 10:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 27, 2012 at 10:30 PM
4 moms liked this

contact the public school system. Most offer free services. 

Canvas_says
by Platinum Member on Aug. 27, 2012 at 10:31 PM

I second the pp's comment. When we were in a similar situation and my daughter was 3 the public schools covered her cost to go into a PPI program and it was great for her. No out of pocket costs. 

Heatherahh
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2012 at 10:31 PM
1 mom liked this
My son had speech therapy, it was free through the district
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 27, 2012 at 10:32 PM
Bump
danandsamsmom
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Check with the school district in your area.  Most school districts will provide kids with speech therapy even before they are school age.

As a mom that has had a son in speech therapy for almost six years, I will tell you that it is nothing to mess around with.

angelachristine
by Platinum Member on Aug. 27, 2012 at 10:33 PM

maybe see if you can contact birth to three even if you don't qualify for services they should know of any help you might be able to get.

When time crashes

bellawomen
by Summer on Aug. 27, 2012 at 10:33 PM
Have you contacted your local Earl Intervention? Do you have insurance? In most cases insurance will cover it through Early Interention, but if not they will help you apply for grants, funds, etc before you have to go out of pocket. I used to be an Earl Intervention evaluator, so I can try to answer questions if you have them. I never did therapy, but taught a preschool class (for extended evaluation).

There is never a set amount of itme for therapy. They set goals and reevaluate periodically to see if therapy needs to be adjusted (more agressive), continued, or is resolved.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
my123sons
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2012 at 10:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Check out early intervention, usually through your local health department. The school district takes them from ages 3-21. Early intervention is free.

First_One_8_18
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2012 at 10:33 PM
Early interventions is free until age three. Get him started there!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 27, 2012 at 10:34 PM
2 moms liked this
Most public schools offer free speech therapy ages 2+
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN