Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

School wants Deaf preschooler to

School asks deaf preschooler to change his sign language name The Lookout - 7 hours ago

Video courtesy KOLN/KGIN 1011 News/Nebraska Central News

Three-and-a-half year old Hunter Spanjer, who is deaf, signs his name by crossing his forefinger and index finger and moving his hand up and down.

To his family, friends and those who know the Signing Exact English (S.E.E.) language that the Grand Island, Neb., boy uses, that gesture uniquely means "Hunter Spanjer."

But to Hunter's school district, it might mean something else. The district claims that it violates a rule that forbids anything in the school that looks like a weapon, reports KOLN-TV .

And Hunter's parents claim that Grand Island Pubic Schools administrators have asked them to change their son's sign language name.

"Anybody that I have talked to thinks this is absolutely ridiculous," Hunter's grandmother Janet Logue told the TV station. "This is not threatening in any way."

Hunter's father Brian Spanjer said, "It's a symbol. It's an actual sign, a registered sign, through S.E.E."

The family told KOLN that lawyers from the National Association of the Deaf may push for Hunter's right to sign his name at the school.

Jack Sheard, Grand Island Public Schools spokesperson told KOLN, "We are working with the parents to come to the best solution we can for the child."

One Grand Island resident said she disagrees with the school.

"I find it very difficult to believe that the sign language that shows his name resembles a gun in any way would even enter a child's mind," Fredda Bartenbach said in the news report.

Home U.s. World
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 10:55 PM
Replies (31-40):
ILive4This
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 11:31 PM

I'm trying to remember the last time someone got shot with a finger gun.  Ridiculous.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 28, 2012 at 11:32 PM
It's hearing parents with deaf kids. It's easier for them to SEE. It's basically the same signs, but the sentence structure is different.

Also, deaf people raised in the deaf culture don't use or understand English idioms (I'm all ears, you're pulling my leg, etc). People that SEE will also use these.

Quoting FL2AK:

It is ridiculous, but I have to ask why people are going away from learning and teaching ASL.
motha2daDuchess
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 11:33 PM

HOH/deaf kids sometime create their own signs for their name, my daughter when asked her name one day did a sign we had never seen her do, that was what she identified as her name, unless it is a middle finger, which would have been corrected long before, because the school thinks it's inappropriate when it truly isn't, they need to get a life

Quoting thetrollcat:

I am trying to visualize the hand sign but I do somewhat agree that if the sign shows any hand visual appaear to be a gun using fingers, then the sign is probably not a very good name sign. That would be like signing a girl named Virgina relative to a hand sign VAGINA.... I mean ya know... hmmmm. Names in sign language matter just like names spoken and spelled.... Some things are just silly and while I dig that the name signs should be unique, they should be unique enough that they do not have to represent any form of weapon or other things I can think of.

I do think the school is being extreme I also think the parents are being extreme, I think both could work this out a little more rationally and maturely. Both sides are being completely immature about it.

RazzleMySpazz
by spaztastic on Aug. 28, 2012 at 11:34 PM
If this has been answered already i'm sorry, but what's the difference between ASL and SEE???

And the school is being insane!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thetrollcat
by Meow on Aug. 28, 2012 at 11:35 PM

I am deaf, and i agree with the school, from the sounds of it the hand sign does sound a little too inappropriate for a name. im sorry but I do not consider having a hand gun signal really appropriate for a name anymore than I consider it appropriate using signs that are close to swear or profanity words. Some things should be avoided when making up hand signs.

I think both are over re-acting, the parents are just making a big deal out of nothing.

Quoting motha2daDuchess:

HOH/deaf kids sometime create their own signs for their name, my daughter when asked her name one day did a sign we had never seen her do, that was what she identified as her name, unless it is a middle finger, which would have been corrected long before, because the school thinks it's inappropriate when it truly isn't, they need to get a life

Quoting thetrollcat:

I am trying to visualize the hand sign but I do somewhat agree that if the sign shows any hand visual appaear to be a gun using fingers, then the sign is probably not a very good name sign. That would be like signing a girl named Virgina relative to a hand sign VAGINA.... I mean ya know... hmmmm. Names in sign language matter just like names spoken and spelled.... Some things are just silly and while I dig that the name signs should be unique, they should be unique enough that they do not have to represent any form of weapon or other things I can think of.

I do think the school is being extreme I also think the parents are being extreme, I think both could work this out a little more rationally and maturely. Both sides are being completely immature about it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Aug. 28, 2012 at 11:36 PM

dumb

thetrollcat
by Meow on Aug. 28, 2012 at 11:37 PM

People in deaf cultures have access to the internet and are complete aware of English Idioms and they may not use it OFTEN they do still use them no more or less than learning profanity and using that.

Quoting Anonymous:

It's hearing parents with deaf kids. It's easier for them to SEE. It's basically the same signs, but the sentence structure is different.

Also, deaf people raised in the deaf culture don't use or understand English idioms (I'm all ears, you're pulling my leg, etc). People that SEE will also use these.

Quoting FL2AK:

It is ridiculous, but I have to ask why people are going away from learning and teaching ASL.

champagne_rose
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Insane. Poor baby :(

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 28, 2012 at 11:39 PM
Speaking of words that are close to swear words...a lady in our church was attempting to sign God...but she used a "b" hand and came from her forehead to her chest quickly and stopped there. She kept doing it over and over again. I had to go interrupt and correct her.

Quoting thetrollcat:

I am deaf, and i agree with the school, from the sounds of it the hand sign does sound a little too inappropriate for a name. im sorry but I do not consider having a hand gun signal really appropriate for a name anymore than I consider it appropriate using signs that are close to swear or profanity words. Some things should be avoided when making up hand signs.

I think both are over re-acting, the parents are just making a big deal out of nothing.

Quoting motha2daDuchess:

Quoting thetrollcat:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 28, 2012 at 11:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Maybe you do. But you seem accepting of mainstream hearing culture. A lot of deaf people aren't. They don't care about English idioms. I've used one before and then had to explain. Like I am aware that Spanish idioms exist. A lot of people around me use them. I don't pay attention or understand what they mean, nor do I care to.

Quoting thetrollcat:

People in deaf cultures have access to the internet and are complete aware of English Idioms and they may not use it OFTEN they do still use them no more or less than learning profanity and using that.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting FL2AK:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)