Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Career Moms vs Stay at Home moms.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Really there should be no vs here.  But there is, so here is my take on the argument.

Go to College, get your degree, but don't be afraid of getting married and having a family while your on that path.  You are more likely to feel guilty about leaving your career if you've already started it. Or leaving your kids if you have a career. I'm not saying don't have a career. YET, how do you really know if that is what you want to do? I went to college with every intention of becoming a teacher. Since having kids and getting into the parenting life, I've realized that THAT isn't what I REALLY want to do for the rest of my life. But I wouldn't of learned this any other way. Putting a family first before your career is not a sin. It's not belittling yourself in a demeaning guilt fest. I understand some don't have the option, but for those that do. Pick having a family.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 28, 2012 at 11:49 PM
Replies (21-30):
countrygirlkat
by Silver Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 12:00 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't agree with your logic and I am a SAHM.  I always knew I wanted to be a mom and I always knew that if possible I wanted to stay at home with my kids.  I also always valued education though and wanted to make sure I had that degree to fall back on.  I met DH during my college years but we waited to get married until after we both graduated to make sure that we both got our degrees before we had to worry about raising a family.  We got married and we both started our careers and I really enjoyed working at it but still knew when we had kids I would stay home.  I don't regret working for when I did and I don't regret staying at home now.  I don't feel guilty about either of them. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 29, 2012 at 12:00 AM
I was starting to think it was goingto tell she beat thedead horse :(! Lol

Quoting Josie_P:

It never ends, does it? 

Quoting Anonymous:

Not this shit again:(

Josie_P
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 12:01 AM
2 moms liked this

Because the "And glad I'm raising my own kids" wasn't a stab at working mums? Righttttt.

Quoting Anonymous:

Awesome. I never stated otherwise. I can only speak for myself.

Quoting Josie_P:

Funny, I'm raising my daughter, too.

Quoting Anonymous:

Meh, I'm a sahm and glad I'm raising my own kids.

lovinmama411
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 12:01 AM
1 mom liked this

I think when you pick having a career, you do it FOR your kids/family. It's not one or the other. Luckily, many of us figure out how to do both :)

faeriemom1972
by Ruby Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 12:01 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm a sahm and like career moms, I am raising my child. I'm just doing it differently. Not better, not worse. Just different. My way, not your way, not her way, not my mothers way. My way. Shall I go on?

numonestunar
by Platinum Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 12:02 AM
1 mom liked this
I have it all. Family and career.
Family will always be #1, but i can also have a successful career.
My husband and I are raising our son together.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Aug. 29, 2012 at 12:03 AM
I can't wait to start school and begin a career. I feel as if I'm wasting my life and intelligence if I don't do something with it...the world is not black and white...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 29, 2012 at 12:03 AM
I've been a working mom too. For me, I wasn't able to work and be a good mom. Made the choice to be a sahm...to raise my own kids. As I said, speakin from my situation. If you wanna be offended, have at it. It's a free country.

Quoting Josie_P:

Because the "And glad I'm raising my own kids" wasn't a stab at working mums? Righttttt.

Quoting Anonymous:

Awesome. I never stated otherwise. I can only speak for myself.

Quoting Josie_P:

Funny, I'm raising my daughter, too.

Quoting Anonymous:

Meh, I'm a sahm and glad I'm raising my own kids.

sweetieiv
by Ruby Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 12:03 AM
I don't have a career but I do work and I am glad that I can help my husband provide for our family equally.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
faeriemom1972
by Ruby Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 12:04 AM

*sigh* What if I don't want to do both? Is my family unlucky because I chose to be a sahm?

Quoting lovinmama411:

I think when you pick having a career, you do it FOR your kids/family. It's not one or the other. Luckily, many of us figure out how to do both :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)