Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Career Moms vs Stay at Home moms.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Really there should be no vs here.  But there is, so here is my take on the argument.

Go to College, get your degree, but don't be afraid of getting married and having a family while your on that path.  You are more likely to feel guilty about leaving your career if you've already started it. Or leaving your kids if you have a career. I'm not saying don't have a career. YET, how do you really know if that is what you want to do? I went to college with every intention of becoming a teacher. Since having kids and getting into the parenting life, I've realized that THAT isn't what I REALLY want to do for the rest of my life. But I wouldn't of learned this any other way. Putting a family first before your career is not a sin. It's not belittling yourself in a demeaning guilt fest. I understand some don't have the option, but for those that do. Pick having a family.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 28, 2012 at 11:49 PM
Replies (31-40):
numonestunar
by Platinum Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 12:04 AM
I felt the same way.
I'm definitely better at working. LOL

Quoting thetrollcat:

SAHM is the most boring job I have ever had.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
svolkov
by Emerald Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 12:04 AM
I just finished my masters degree and am a sahm until my youngest(5mo) goes to preschool, then I will have my career ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CheyanneW
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 12:05 AM
1 mom liked this
What story is that? I didn't tell my situation or why I feel that way. What is it that you're assuming? Or are you just jealous?

Quoting Anonymous:

Cool story bro.

Quoting CheyanneW:

I'm a career mom and I'm glad I'm raising my own kids.

Quoting Anonymous:

Meh, I'm a sahm and glad I'm raising my own kids.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tifbrown
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 12:07 AM
Absolutely agree with you. I got a college diploma and just started my career and ended up starting a family. I never thought I would want to, but I love being a stay at home mom. My career will be there for me when I'm done. Plus, it's a good sense of security knowing I always have it to fall back on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Aug. 29, 2012 at 12:07 AM

I TOTALLY agree with you 100 MILLION PERCENT!!!!!!

Quoting thetrollcat:

SAHM is the most boring job I have ever had.

RobinBright
by Ruby Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 12:07 AM
I pick both. Staying at home is boring and unsatisfying for me, and working is a zillion times harder but more fulfilling. Others may have the opposite experience. We all have different personalities.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ColeAreeaJet
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 12:09 AM

What's wrong with having both?  I have two degrees, a career and a family.   I dont feel guilty for "leaving my kids" because I work a schedule that allows me to be home after school and on the weekends.  I tried staying at home for a little bit and the boredom drove me to tears.

emandab
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 12:09 AM
1 mom liked this

This arguement will never end.  Between the "I want to raise my own kids" and 'I can't be fulfilled by just being a mom" comments there will always be bitches on both sides that get defensive.

lovinmama411
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 12:10 AM
3 moms liked this

So don't. SAH. But for those who DO CHOOSE to have a career, they are no less of a mother and certainly not choosing a career over their family. I was a sahm for the first four years of my kids' lives. I hated it. I am so happy they are both in school so I can have my own thing. And we are all happy. They wouldn't know the difference anyway. Most kids (excluding homeschool of course) are in school by 4/5 years old. How do they know what you do while they are at school? They don't. There is no difference except maybe income levels.

As long as mama is happy, it shouldn't matter if you sah or not. Just don't say those who choose to work, not out of necessity but out of desire for a life outside the home, are making the wrong decision. There is no right/wrong decision here, it's variable.

Quoting faeriemom1972:

*sigh* What if I don't want to do both? Is my family unlucky because I chose to be a sahm?

Quoting lovinmama411:

I think when you pick having a career, you do it FOR your kids/family. It's not one or the other. Luckily, many of us figure out how to do both :)

Aislinn
by Platinum Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 12:10 AM
1 mom liked this

I had a career for thirteen years before I had my kiddo. Handing over the reigns was hard, at first. Now? Not so much...lol I think everyone's circumstances are different and this is not a black and white subject.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)