Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

A PA post about Cable and Internet!!!! *EDIT In red!!!!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 118 Replies
1 mom liked this

Many state that if a family is on PA they shouldn't have Internet or cable. 

Well what happens when that family has a child in 8th grade or higher an the teacher requires them to watch certain programing. 

What made me think about this is were coming full swing into the presidential debates and my son whom is in 8th grade is required to watch 4 debates. I work from 6am to 6pm and DH works from 7am to 7pm. When we return home there isn't time to take DS to the library where he could try to find the debates on the Internet. We are thankful our inlaws live a few homes down and have cable. We have Internet but DS isn't allowed to use it with out a parent home. After each debate DS is required to write a small paper worth 50points each.

So what happens to his classmate who if you all were able to write the laws of PA didn't have cable or Internet in the home. He'd lose 200 points. That doesn't seem fair, does it seem fair to you?

*Will you women stop saying its my child. I have it covered on how my child is going to be able to watch the debates. Also in our building a normal anatee will not work and our landlord refuses to let us put up anything bigger. Also many area's you can not even get normal "TV" channels with out some connection do to tv has gone DIGITAL. Also our local libary closes at 5 and I wouldn't want my kid skipping lunch to do a report. 

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 29, 2012 at 11:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 29, 2012 at 11:29 AM
7 moms liked this

popcorn

*props feet up and watches*

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 29, 2012 at 11:30 AM
Popping s squat.
-42-
by Platinum Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 11:31 AM

I think that if it was too much for the family to afford, a parent should talk to the teacher about other options.

emandab
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 11:33 AM

I'm not trying to be a pain, but the debates are usually televised on regular tv.

I believe, didn't watch I was busy, but I think I saw convention coverage on ABC, CBS, and PBS

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 29, 2012 at 11:33 AM

I think your making excuses. Yeah okay he needs cable. But ppl on PA should not be allowed the luxery that ppl who actually support themselves have. My dh has had the same job for 12 years. He makes 70k a year. and he does not have a degree. Just about anyone can get ajob that pays good.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 29, 2012 at 11:34 AM

In our home we can't even get a regular channel and the landlord wont allow us to put up a strong antenna.

Quoting emandab:

I'm not trying to be a pain, but the debates are usually televised on regular tv.

tryinagain85
by Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 11:34 AM
we dont have cable but we have the internet, the only PA we receive is medicaid for our 2 kids, but we can afford the 60 bucks a month for our internet, if we couldnt afford to pay it, then we definitely wouldnt have it......
atyou
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 11:35 AM
Giant dogs are really not my cup of tea.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 29, 2012 at 11:38 AM

I contacted DS teacher and this what I was told. It not my problem this is what I require in my class when its an election time. Now if he needs an extra day I can give that but I will take 10 points off. Thankfully our in laws are open to having the kids over to watch the debates. Our home you can't even get a regular channel to come in we've tried everything. Asked the landlord if we could run a andante and they shot us down. Internet is included in our rent so we are grateful for that.

Quoting -42-:

I think that if it was too much for the family to afford, a parent should talk to the teacher about other options.

Sweets27
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 11:38 AM
Cable is not a need. We don't have cable but we need the internet. This is how I pay my bills and my ds uses it for school. I would speak with the teacher if an assignment required cable. Unless the school pays my cable bill, I wouldn't get it for school assignments. There are also libraries where people have access to computers if they can't afford the Internet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)