Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is there a future for librarians?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

With the closing of so many bookstores are libraries next? Or will they evolve with the new technology?

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 29, 2012 at 11:39 AM
Replies (11-13):
TiffanyRose06
by Queso<3 on Aug. 29, 2012 at 12:19 PM

What's a librarian? Jk, I don't think libraries will fade out.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 29, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Although libraries have adapted to some of today's technology, I'm not so sure they are on their way out.  I mean, there has to be a place to store all those books, right? LOL.  But, on a serious note, there are a lot of things in the libraries that people go in to study, research, copy, etc.  I drive by 2 libraries every day.  Their parking lots are always almost completely full all the time.

I know that my twins, who are sophomores in college, have had to write papers that were required to use at least 2 physical references.  Internet research was allowed and referenced.  But, there had to be at least 2 references from physical sources as well, such as encyclopedias, newspapers, actual printed matter.  And, all had to be referenced with the source, author and page #s.

ripemango
by Platinum Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 12:24 PM
1 mom liked this

with technology and how books are becoming something that no longer even needs to be in print or have a 'physical' location, i believe libraries will eventually go by the wayside, yes.

Example: ALL of my textbooks are in etextbook format.

I believe the historical, old libraries will remain for prosterity and tourist attractions, as they serve the public today.

I don't know where the sunbeams end and the starlights begin; it's all a mystery.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN