Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Should I suck it up and work the extra hours?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies

Poll

Question: Suck it up?

Options:

Yes work 7-7

No work 8-6 your regular hours

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 19

View Results

I work 10 hour days 5 days a week and its been like this for years. I'm a nanny and I love my job.

This year the oldest is in school and the youngest two (twins) are in a preschool for 5 hours two times a week.

I have to take the two youngest to preschool and pick them up.

My boss now seems to think because I don't have the kids for 10 hours all together during the week that she can have me come in earlier and stay later to 'make up' those hours.

I work 30-45 minutes from my house. It's not feaisable for me to go home after dropping the youngest two off plus I'm on call if they or their older brother gets sick. If I'm home and I get a call to pick someone up I've got a decent drive to get them if I was to go home.

What I do now is go back to her house and do the laundry or straighten up the house or dishes and yes I do have a lot of down time but it's not like I can go do whatever I want. I still have to be close by in case I have to go get a kid.

She is the one that wanted the twins in preschool to socialize them. I was fine with taking Gymboree classes and gymnastics and dance classes and allowing them to socialize that way.

So do I really have a leg to stand on? Should I just suck it up and work 7-7 or should I put my foot down and tell her no? She doesn't work those hours she uses them to go to the gym or get her hair or nails done or shop.
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 29, 2012 at 10:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 29, 2012 at 10:25 PM
BUMP!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 29, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

BUMP!
Amanda7409
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 10:28 PM
I think your right. If your at there home on call and cleaning she needs to pay you for your time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
armywife0424
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Quoting Amanda7409:

I think your right. If your at there home on call and cleaning she needs to pay you for your time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
graciesnycmama
by Platinum Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 10:29 PM
Exactly. She must know that you're doing housework etc...

Quoting armywife0424:

Quoting Amanda7409:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 29, 2012 at 10:33 PM
She does know I do the cleaning. She does have a maid come twice a week but the maid cleans she doesn't do dishes or laundry and of course keeping up with the kids toys when she isn't there.

Quoting graciesnycmama:

Exactly. She must know that you're doing housework etc...

Quoting armywife0424:

Quoting Amanda7409:

lovnmy3boys
by Paula on Aug. 29, 2012 at 10:34 PM

If you are basically 'on call' when you don't have the kids, then it's pretty much the same as if you had kids there. Besides, you are keeping busy doing things...

If she insists that you work longer hours, maybe you could just take a little less pay during the hours you don't have any kids?

othermom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 10:34 PM

I think you are right, I don't think she should be asking to add two more hours to your schedual when you have things to do at the house while they are gone and have to be there if the kids need something at school

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 29, 2012 at 10:36 PM
Hard to say does she pay you pretty well now. If so maybe its best just to suck it up.
LucyHarper
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 10:38 PM

If it comes down to you losing your job, then I would work the extra two hours, but if it's an option, I would keep the old hours, two more hours you have with your kids instead of raising her kids, and yes, if she is not working and still doesn't take care of her kids from 7am to 7pm and goes shopping and to get her nails done instead, you are raising her kids. Thats not how it is with most daycare, but in her case, I would say it is.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)