Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

ex nieces and nephews

Posted by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 11:01 PM
  • 17 Replies
How do you refer to your ex-husbands sibling's kids? I know you can just say DS or DD's cousins, but is it weird to still refer to them as your nieces and nephews? I don't really think it is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 11:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ginger0104
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Well, my husband passed away a few years ago so the situation is a little different, but I still refer to them as my nieces and nephews.

skyelyns_mommie
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 11:03 PM
Well I never married my ex but I still call his brother my bil and the brothers now ex my sil. I also still refer to their daughter as my niece or his say my daughters cousin. But that is just me
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkWink
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 11:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Nope. I divorced two yrs ago and still call then my niece and nephew, and they still call me Aunt Amey. Bc I am still very close to them and their mom. Not about to try to explain to a one and two yr old that I am no longer their aunt by,marriage. In my heart, I still am.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MarriedYoung
by Silver Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 11:10 PM

My parents still call my cousins their nieces and nephews and my cousins still call them their aunt/uncles and they've been divored for about 13 years.

rwblake2011
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 11:10 PM
Refer to them as my nephews and nieces, I was raised you divorced the man not the family.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aislin
by Platinum Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 11:11 PM

They are still my nieces and nephews

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Aug. 29, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Did you include the nieces and nephews in the divorce decree?

Smcclellan7080
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 11:13 PM

I still refer to my ex's niece and nephew as mine. However his sister tells them I'm still their Aunt. So no not weird.

Luv_my_hubby
by Silver Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 11:54 PM
Was divorced 15yrs ago and they are still my nieces and nephew. I will always be auntie to them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 30, 2012 at 12:07 AM

I still refer to them as my nieces and nephew, and they're still a very big part of my life.  They also have a great bond w/ my children that are not related to them (they're only DS1's cousins).  My other kids also refer to their mom as "Auntie".

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)