Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I have a neighbor that keeps her child home from school on rainy days.

Posted by   + Show Post
Not when it's drizzling but more when it's pouring. There have been quite a few times that she has told me that she's keeping her child home the next day because of morning storms or snow. The reason is because she doesn't want to stand in the weather and doesn't want her child to either. She doesn't have a car so the child isn't driven to school. I've even offered to drive her child when she's told me this and I knew I was heading that way and she declines the ride.

Do you do this or know anyone that does?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 7:59 AM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 30, 2012 at 8:11 AM

Quoting Bethsunshine:

She is going to get in trouble for truancy.

Rose87
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 8:12 AM
This.
Especially if they live in WA lol it's almost ALWAYS raining there

Quoting momof3jam:

No, I personally don't know anyone that does this. I'm sure the school will get on her though about her child's attendance though, and if it continues the school (I think it depends on where you live) they are required to contact CPS about it...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkieRed
Good Lord! I live in Ohio, and if I never sent my kids to school when it rains or snows, they'd miss half a school year! They've taken the bus many times in the rain, snow, and cold, even days with downpouring rain. A lot of kids at my son's elementary school walk to school (we don't live close enough to walk) in all sorts of weather conditions. You dress for the weather, and bring an umbrella if it's raining!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atyou
No.

But I can help but wonder if she associates some type of trauma with weather.....only because it seems kind of extreme.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
URHonor
by Rotten.Girl on Aug. 30, 2012 at 8:13 AM
No but I know people are not happy that my daughter and I play outside in the rain or snow
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 30, 2012 at 8:14 AM
Buy an umbrella or rain coat?
NoahandEliza
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 8:15 AM
I live in NC, too. The whole town pretty much shuts down for snow! I'm from IL, so I'm just about the only one out driving.

Quoting theboysmommy67:

I keep my children home if we are having severe storms only BC our roads flood badly and i don't trust the bus in that situation as for snow we live in the southern part of NC so if there is even a chance of snow all schools shut down we are not prepared for snow.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momto2boys973
by Ruby Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 8:15 AM
1 mom liked this
That's ridiculous. Way to overprotect a child. Ever heard of an umbrella? A raincoat?
Plus, what message is she sending her child? That a minor inconvenience is a good enough excuse to avoid your responsibility.

Sharon
OneToughMami
by Ruby Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 8:16 AM
Well she really can call him out for whatever she sees fit. Do I think it's ridiculous? Yes, but I have to step back and say not my kid. My neighbor's kids missed a lot of school and before the school year started she bragged how at their old school they had perfect attendance. I thought that was a little silly. But still not my kids. That's her truancy letters. And I know the school sent them out I got one over a day the school sent my daughter home. I have an adult friend who calls off work or calls in that she will be late if there's rain.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
robsgurl_23
by Gold Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 8:16 AM

I wouldnt keep my kids home just cause it is raining or snowing. When it rains I take an umbrella with me..does it suck to stand in the rain yes but my kids need to go to school. My kids dont like to be in the rain and I tell them it is just water and your not made of sugar you wont melt...=) When it is snowing my kids love to wait in the snow for the school bus. we just throw on our winter things like snow pants, heavy jacket, hats and mittens or gloves...we like to play in the snow on a sowy day....=)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN