Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What happened to normal parents?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

If you want to be a helicopter parent that is fine by me. I have no judgement on how others parent their children until it affects me. I'm a free range parent and not an extreme one either. I'm finding it harder and harder as my kids interact with others to get people to leave them the hell alone. If you see a child and their parent is not at their heels you do not have to stop what you are doing to find that child's mom. If you are concerned and you want to watch them for a minute, be my guest but lets cut the hysteria.

We were at the library, we go every week. My 2 year old and 4 year old were picking out a movie and my husband was 2 aisles away. My 2 year old walked to the next aisle to find my husband and there a woman spotted him and began to ask "where is your mommy? are you lost?" I was right around the corner and peeked my head around. Surely she wasn't talking about my son who was out of site for less than one minute. I said "I'm right here, he's fine" My son then continued to the next isle where he met up with my husband. The lady followed him! And then she said to my husband "are you his father? You just can't be too careful these days" The 2 year old ran to my husband and said "dada" by the way. She then proceeded to lecture my husband about how we can't let him out of our site for one second.

Excuse me. If my son isn't destroying property and he's with in ear shot of where I'm standing in a familiar place, then we are just fine. You can have your paranoia but I'd like you to contain it to your own person, thanks.

Last night we are at the park. Every parents seems to follow their kids all around the park like they have an invisible fishing line attached to them. My husband and I park our butts on a bench in the middle of the park so we can see the kids. There are three areas of the park. All at a slightly different level with steps but the whole park is maybe 50 feet at it's widest part.

My daughter goes to climb the monkey bars where two parents are hovering over their 3 year old son. She gets up two flights when I can hear the mom asking her "Where is your mommy" I go over there thinking she is doing something wrong, but no. This mom was concerned because she didn't see me. REALL? People, mind your own children!

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 30, 2012 at 2:48 PM
Replies (41-50):
SterlingHeart
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 3:15 PM
3 moms liked this

the internet made them aware of how many creepy crawlers there are

media made them think germs were the enemy

and marketing made them think finding a solution to teaching a child to understand NO was brilliant!  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Aug. 30, 2012 at 3:15 PM
4 moms liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

please come back and complain when someone kidnaps your child  that you were kinda watching in the store

Seriously, it only takes a second for someone to snatch yor child.

That's right, it only takes a second. Don't blink, don't take a shit, don't change your tampon, don't go to sleep, don't send them to school, etc., etc.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 30, 2012 at 3:16 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

who's going to snatch my child? I don't have an ex husband, there is no family drama. Do you really think that a pedophile is watching and following us just waiting for me to take my eyes off my kid, or do you believe that one just happens to be walking by at the same time my child turns the corner and said pedophile makes a snap decision to run off with my kid. Come on.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

please come back and complain when someone kidnaps your child  that you were kinda watching in the store

Of course I must be insane? A stranger kidnapping...that NEVER happens? Hey you want to put your kid at risk, knock yourself out. 

1CrazyCajun
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 3:16 PM

I'm normal. lol. I believe in being protective, but not to the point of being obsessive.

Mainstream Moms Attached Parenting not quite your style. Are you more laid back?Come join other like minded moms.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Aug. 30, 2012 at 3:17 PM
How about don't let a toddler away from you in public with absolutely no supervision?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

That's right, it only takes a second. Don't blink, don't take a shit, don't change your tampon, don't go to sleep, don't send them to school, etc., etc.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 30, 2012 at 3:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Big diffrence then letting your child wander around a store unsupervised. Apples and oranges!

mom2b116
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 3:17 PM

with stats like this  i watch my child she  holds my hand or is in a basket or carried in a store , at home its different ,

im not willing to risk my daughter  i dont care how small the chance , there is still a chance

During the study year, there were an estimated 115

stereotypical kidnappings,

defined as abductions perpetrated

by a stranger or slight acquaintance and

involving a child who was transported 50 or more

miles, detained overnight, held for ransom or with

the intent to keep the child permanently, or killed.

In 40 percent of stereotypical kidnappings, the child

was killed,

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 30, 2012 at 3:18 PM

you have no idea how this woman parents her children. Accidents can happen to anyone even when you are prepared or you think you are. Just because you find a different level of comfort than others do doesn't mean you are right and they are wrong. I risk getting in to a fatal car accident every time I get behind the wheel. That is a risk I am willing to take even though it is far more likely that I will die in a car accident than it is that someone will steal my child from me.

Quoting AmyG1976:

having living children does not mean you did someing right it mearly means something bad missed you. my aunt was a good mom her 16 yr old was killed in a car accident as was my oldest friend at age 8 who was unsupervised and knew she was allowed to bike ride in the street as no one watched or stoped her she was hit and killed. my fil and mil happened to raise 5 kids to adulthood (granted 3 have been to prison) as alcholic's my dh was left home alone to babysit a newborn at age 8 all ran the streets by age 6 no curfews ever no real rules took too much work to inforce them but because they are still alive she is good.. bwaahhhhh sounds like her way of thinking... prob didnt mean for that but really this is how you sound : my kids alive so I did something right...oookkk

Quoting LeetjieJ:

Good luck with this! I happen to agree, but I think you're going to get bashed!
I've had a pretty similar approach to yours and my two have successfully made it to 18 and 21, so I must have done something right!

LAXmom21
by Ruby Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 3:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Less than 20% of kidnappings and children being raped are by strangers.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

who's going to snatch my child? I don't have an ex husband, there is no family drama. Do you really think that a pedophile is watching and following us just waiting for me to take my eyes off my kid, or do you believe that one just happens to be walking by at the same time my child turns the corner and said pedophile makes a snap decision to run off with my kid. Come on.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Of course I must be insane? A stranger kidnapping...that NEVER happens? Hey you want to put your kid at risk, knock yourself out. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sheramom4
by Ruby Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 3:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

When I was 10 I was going to KMart by myself. People need to lighten up.

Quoting sheramom4:

I am free-range as well and I feel your pain. My kids are 17, 13, 10, and 9 and the younger two STILL get asked where we are. I let my 10 year old walk from the electronics aisle at Target to the Legos across the main aisle at Target and I could still see her and there was some lady asking where her "mommy" was. My 10 year old pointed me out and of course the women informed I needed to watch "my little girl." ummm...my little girl is almost 11 she should be able to be 20 feet from me. Even my 13 year old has been asked where her mom is.

We had a mom last year that for a week followed my girls home from the bust stop...two houses away. She lives two houses the other direction but takes her CAR to pick up her now 5th grader. I let them walk. After a week I approached her and asked why she felt the need to follow them home and she said it was fr safety. I kindly asked her to stop and she kindly told me no. I had my husband go talk to her husband and it stopped. I really didn't want to have to repot her stalkerish behavior. LOL.

Exactly. I was walking to the corner store and could babysit my younger brothers for a couple of hours at 10. Mine was just 20 feet away and it was enough to cause a problem. My kids are well-versed in self-defense and have been taught to be aware of their surroundings. We are free-range within limits and when the child is mature enough to handle the free-range activities. I consider myself a normal parent.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN