Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I just wish she'd pay me back. :(

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 22 Replies
When I was pregnant (August last year) I got into school. I got student loans and pell grant, as did df. We got a combined $10,000. We got things we needed and stuff for ds.
My friend's SO left her with 3 kids and no money. She didn't have a job and she had $600 worth of bills due, I had extra money so I gave it to her. She said "I don't know if I'll ever be able to pay you back"
Well, her SO came back, he got an awesome job and she got into school. She got loans and pell.
She's never mentioned the money. Now I'm struggling and I can't even explain how much $600 would help right now!! :-/

Eta: I loaned her $100 in 2010, it took a year for her to give that back.
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 30, 2012 at 4:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 30, 2012 at 4:51 PM
3 moms liked this

The best way to lose a friend is to loan money.  
You can ask for it back but I wouldn't hold out much hope for that happening. 

jenmeehan11
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 4:52 PM
Ouch. That hurts! I would be upset too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ashley0523
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 4:52 PM

I would tell her that you really need your 600 back especially since shes ok with money

evanne337
by Silver Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 4:52 PM
Talk to her
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 30, 2012 at 4:52 PM
5 moms liked this

Not likely.  She told you she might not be able to pay you back and you gave her the money anyway.  You kissed it goodbye a long time ago.

inmybizz
by Gold Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Have you asked her when she can pay you back?

keisha613
by Silver Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 4:54 PM

She's not obligated to give it back.  She said she may not ever be able to pay it back and you agreed to it when you gave her the money.  It sucks that you are struggling right now and she isn't.  Perhaps you can ask her for a loan, gently reminding her about the time you helped her out.

LucyHarper
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 4:56 PM

I would honestly tell her. Not in a confrontational way, just let her know whats up. $600 is a lot of money, that's not something you just forget about and let go. Say "I was so happy I could help you in your time of need, but money is really tight right now for my family, do you think you will be able to pay me back any time in the near future?"

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 30, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Gone is gone. Expensive lesson.  I bet you won't do that again. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 30, 2012 at 4:58 PM
This. Never loan money, I found out the hard way once before as well. My ex borrowed 20,000 and only paid back $5,000....I doubt I will see it again. Next time get a promissory note.

Quoting keisha613:

She's not obligated to give it back.  She said she may not ever be able to pay it back and you agreed to it when you gave her the money.  It sucks that you are struggling right now and she isn't.  Perhaps you can ask her for a loan, gently reminding her about the time you helped her out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)