Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

"I don't like him because he is black!"

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 29 Replies
My children and I were on the bus yesterday when my 3 1/2 year old said he didn't like another passenger because he was black! I have NO idea where he even knows to say a person is black! My only assumption is day care, but there are kids there of a few different races, so I'm at a loss as to where he heard that. He also won't tell me where he heard it! When I first asked where he heard it, he said what something that sorta sounded like "sensous", so when I asked "who?", he said it wasn't a person, it's where you get stuff, so I asked what you get there, and he said "$200", so I'm at a loss here!

Any tips on how to handle this? I have already talked to him and explained that skin color isn't a reason not to like someone, and pointed out our friends, who are like family, that are different races, which I honestly hated to do, because I don't want him to look at Uncle Jeff and think about him being black, or Auntie Linda and think about her being brown. His Daddy has such dark skin, he is often mistaken for being a different race, so I pointed out that even Daddy isn't the same color as us. My mom has a black cat that LOVES him, and he loves her, so I pointed that out. He loves Yo Gabba Gabba, so I showed him how DJ Lance is the same color as the guy on the bus. He also has a book that kinda covers this, so we are gonna read it when I find it amongst his 5,000,000 books.

Any other suggestions, ladies?
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 31, 2012 at 11:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 31, 2012 at 11:03 AM
Bump!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 31, 2012 at 11:05 AM
Bump!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 31, 2012 at 11:06 AM
Bump!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 31, 2012 at 11:09 AM

You did exactly what you should have done. I would drop it for now he is just at an age where he is starting to notice. Just keep talking to him if he brings it up.

tarakay0417
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 11:09 AM
Sounds like you are doing everything you can to show him race doesn't matter. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 11:10 AM

He's just noticing differences in people and communicating it.  Don't freak out on him or punish him - just keep doing what you did...calmly remind him everyone is the same in the inside.  Also, ask him how he would feel if someone said something like that about him...he's old enough to understand how much that would hurt.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 31, 2012 at 11:11 AM
I think you handled it. Let it go for now.
jkampbyll
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 11:14 AM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 31, 2012 at 11:16 AM

I'll try to investgate what he is talking about when he mentioned $200.00

honeyrder
by Platinum Member on Aug. 31, 2012 at 11:21 AM

I think that a person can dislike anyone for any reason he or she wants to. I wouldn't try and make my kid like someone. Let him be his own person.

Quoting Anonymous:

My children and I were on the bus yesterday when my 3 1/2 year old said he didn't like another passenger because he was black! I have NO idea where he even knows to say a person is black! My only assumption is day care, but there are kids there of a few different races, so I'm at a loss as to where he heard that. He also won't tell me where he heard it! When I first asked where he heard it, he said what something that sorta sounded like "sensous", so when I asked "who?", he said it wasn't a person, it's where you get stuff, so I asked what you get there, and he said "$200", so I'm at a loss here!

Any tips on how to handle this? I have already talked to him and explained that skin color isn't a reason not to like someone, and pointed out our friends, who are like family, that are different races, which I honestly hated to do, because I don't want him to look at Uncle Jeff and think about him being black, or Auntie Linda and think about her being brown. His Daddy has such dark skin, he is often mistaken for being a different race, so I pointed out that even Daddy isn't the same color as us. My mom has a black cat that LOVES him, and he loves her, so I pointed that out. He loves Yo Gabba Gabba, so I showed him how DJ Lance is the same color as the guy on the bus. He also has a book that kinda covers this, so we are gonna read it when I find it amongst his 5,000,000 books.

Any other suggestions, ladies?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN