Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Special Needs Kids In Mainstream Classrooms

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

To what degree do you think this contributes to the issues in public education nowadays?  I think it is likely a huge reason why public education has largely gone in the toilet.  It used to be that special needs kids went into special classes, and the kids who were intellectually and behaviorally able to keep up with the normal pace of the classroom weren't held back by these other kids because the teachers' attentions weren't so divided.

I know this isn't a very politically correct opinion, but there you have it.

What is your opinion?

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 31, 2012 at 3:59 PM
Replies (21-30):
Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on Aug. 31, 2012 at 4:14 PM
1 mom liked this

No, it's the illogical requirements of No Child Left Behind that put the focus on the lowest performing students (not necessarily the SN students) and make everything dumbed down so the lowest students will pass.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 31, 2012 at 4:15 PM

I think mainstream kids NEED special ed kids in the classroom.  Too many kids are insensitive to anything out side what they feel is the norm. 

I do think that if you are going to have special ed kids in the same class room that the whole class needs to have a teacher capable of teaching to individula needs.  Which means aid in the class room, well educated (well paid) teachers, and teachers that care.

But I think it is good on an emotional level to mainstreem kids... for them and for others.

weirdkids
by Gold Member on Aug. 31, 2012 at 4:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Just so you know... the title is special needs kids not special ed kids. Just because a child is special needs doesn't mean they belong in special ed. I have 2 special needs kids I'm school. They are both mainstream without an aide.

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

I have never seen a special ed child mainstreamed without an aide, so they actually get more attention than in a special ed classroom

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 31, 2012 at 4:17 PM

I think the same can be said for intellectually gifted children who are bored with the normal pace and are disruptive because of that.  I think that there has to be a better way of dividing the kids up so that the pace and structure of the classroom is appropriate for everyone.

VeronicaTex
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Thank you very much!!!!!

Veronica-Mother of a child with Down Syndrome and former Bilingual/ESL teacher

Quoting GreenEyePixie:

Not sute where to start. My sons goes 4 hours PPCD class (SN class) and 2 hours regular class with an aide. It is to help the kids get used to regular every day life. The schools goal is for the Special Needs kids to one day be able to handle typical day by day stuff.

Most schools systems don't just throw SN kids into a reg ed class without their being testing amd condsideration done. The way my son's school is they are either straight SN classroom, mainstreamed, or in an inclusion class.

They problem with todays education system isn't SN kids in regular classes. It is lazy parenting, parents who blame the school/teacher for every wrong thing their kid does, and the parents and govt making the teachers work with so many damn restrictions. It is like being told to win a fight with your hands and legs tied.

mommasaint
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 4:20 PM
1 mom liked this

My kids have had special needs children in their classrooms throughout the years. They have aids in there with them. I don't feel like it had a negative impact on their education at all. In fact, I think it was beneficial for them. It taught them tolerance, respect and compassion for all types of children, not just "normal" ones. 

Shabbydoll78
by Platinum Member on Aug. 31, 2012 at 4:20 PM

All four of my children, at one point and time, have had special needs kids in their classrooms. I can honestly say that my children did not and have not suffered one bit , or lost any thing as far as their education or social development are concerned. There is such a thing as teaching kids tolerance, understanding, compassion, empathy. This is not a detriment, it is a enrichment.

weirdkids
by Gold Member on Aug. 31, 2012 at 4:20 PM
Oh absolutely. I know in my state, all the schools that are under performing have a high % of ESL kids. I researched the.schools to see if I was going to have to have my SD district jump for highschool

Quoting Anonymous:

I think ESL students contribute more to the decline in education than special needs children.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lady_In_Ink
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 4:21 PM
My special needs Kindergartner is intellectually on par with fourth and fifth graders. Your opinion is ignorant. Special needs doesn't mean stupid or trouble.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Aug. 31, 2012 at 4:22 PM
You are right, sorry if I offended!

Quoting weirdkids:

Just so you know... the title is special needs kids not special ed kids. Just because a child is special needs doesn't mean they belong in special ed. I have 2 special needs kids I'm school. They are both mainstream without an aide.

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

I have never seen a special ed child mainstreamed without an aide, so they actually get more attention than in a special ed classroom

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured