Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Special Needs Kids In Mainstream Classrooms

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

To what degree do you think this contributes to the issues in public education nowadays?  I think it is likely a huge reason why public education has largely gone in the toilet.  It used to be that special needs kids went into special classes, and the kids who were intellectually and behaviorally able to keep up with the normal pace of the classroom weren't held back by these other kids because the teachers' attentions weren't so divided.

I know this isn't a very politically correct opinion, but there you have it.

What is your opinion?

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 31, 2012 at 3:59 PM
Replies (31-40):
weirdkids
by Gold Member on Aug. 31, 2012 at 4:23 PM
Have you concisered headphones? My.DD wears headphones (no sound) in class to block out distractions. It was her teachers idea.

Quoting AnnaNonamus:

My special needs daughter has done very well in her mainstream classrooms. She has the ability to leave the classroom if she needs to, and go to a special room with a special needs instructor. She gets 3 passes per day, 5 minutes each. It helps her refocus, and it keeps the distractions of her down time out of the classroom.

I have personally helped in her classroom 3 of the past 4 years, and hope to help again this year. I have never seen any instances of her or the other 3 kids in her room causing any disturbances that distract from the learning in the entire room.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
girl_incognito
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 4:25 PM

I am for inclusion. Special needs children need to be around their normally developing peers. Unless a child is severely impaired there is absolutely NO reason they should not be included in mainstream classes for at least 50 to 70% of the day. Seems to me perhaps you don't really understand how inclusion works. And that to me is sad.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 31, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Quoting Lady_In_Ink:

My special needs Kindergartner is intellectually on par with fourth and fifth graders. Your opinion is ignorant. Special needs doesn't mean stupid or trouble.

Are you concerned about your Kindergartner being held back by being in class with kids who are so much farther behind him/her?  Would you prefer that your child be in a class where the material and pace was more appropriate to his/her advanced level?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Aug. 31, 2012 at 4:25 PM
I think you read my post yesterday & are now blaming my son for school systems that have gone to hell. IMO.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 31, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

I think you read my post yesterday & are now blaming my son for school systems that have gone to hell. IMO.

I'm sorry, but I don't know what you are talking about.  I didn't read your post.  I'm rarely in this group.  Feel free to link it here.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Aug. 31, 2012 at 4:30 PM
Special needs children should have a teacher trained to teach special needs children. I wouldnt want to settle with the average teacher.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
weirdkids
by Gold Member on Aug. 31, 2012 at 4:30 PM
I'm with ya. My special needs kids have above average intelligence but it seems that until high-school there are no advanced classes for kids like them and they are stuck in the slowdown "work on this till little Johnny gets it" classes.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think the same can be said for intellectually gifted children who are bored with the normal pace and are disruptive because of that.  I think that there has to be a better way of dividing the kids up so that the pace and structure of the classroom is appropriate for everyone.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
girl_incognito
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Lady_In_Ink:

My special needs Kindergartner is intellectually on par with fourth and fifth graders. Your opinion is ignorant. Special needs doesn't mean stupid or trouble.

Are you concerned about your Kindergartner being held back by being in class with kids who are so much farther behind him/her?  Would you prefer that your child be in a class where the material and pace was more appropriate to his/her advanced level?

That's not how sped works...retention is not a good intervention and unless the child doesn't try retention should not be used. Her child will continue to have the same supports through out school no matter what her grade level. Special ed programs are indivdualized to the student whether in self contained or inclusion classes, regardless of grade level. Again you show me you know nothing of how IEP's work and are implemented.

Lady_In_Ink
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 4:31 PM
1 mom liked this
No. Not really. He is highly intelligent, but socially awkward. He needs to be around kids his age, I think. And he gets individualized curriculum in his ESE class.
Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Lady_In_Ink:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RLT2
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Depends on what kind of special needs they have,  I guess

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN