Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Special Needs Kids In Mainstream Classrooms

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

To what degree do you think this contributes to the issues in public education nowadays?  I think it is likely a huge reason why public education has largely gone in the toilet.  It used to be that special needs kids went into special classes, and the kids who were intellectually and behaviorally able to keep up with the normal pace of the classroom weren't held back by these other kids because the teachers' attentions weren't so divided.

I know this isn't a very politically correct opinion, but there you have it.

What is your opinion?

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 31, 2012 at 3:59 PM
Replies (41-50):
RhondaVeggie
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 4:32 PM
It depends on the kids needs and what help they have. Having kids with minor needs like learning delays or aspergers can help because it means an aide in the classroom who can help not only with their kid but with other kids too. Having kids with more severe needs is an issue. There was a girl with quite severe downs syndrome in my son's kindergarten class and she did disrupt learning, she was almost non-vocal and couldn't keep quiet for things like circle time plus she was nowhere near able to do the work e.g. she could barely hold a pencil properly let alone write her name. She let halfway through the year to go to a special program and she should have been there from the beginning. I think her parents were doing her a disservice trying to mainstream her when she clearly needed more specialized help than can be provided in an integrated classroom.
Katenemsmom
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 4:35 PM
I wish we had more special needs kids in class with my kids. Their uncle has cerebral palsy but they rarely see him because he lives so far away. My kids are missing out on the education they get from a special needs person.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 31, 2012 at 4:35 PM

It is a real shame that kids whose "special needs" are that they are intellectually gifted don't currently have the support that they need.  To me that is not right.

Quoting weirdkids:

I'm with ya. My special needs kids have above average intelligence but it seems that until high-school there are no advanced classes for kids like them and they are stuck in the slowdown "work on this till little Johnny gets it" classes.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think the same can be said for intellectually gifted children who are bored with the normal pace and are disruptive because of that.  I think that there has to be a better way of dividing the kids up so that the pace and structure of the classroom is appropriate for everyone.

weirdkids
by Gold Member on Aug. 31, 2012 at 4:36 PM
Sorry i got snappy. I think of my two and know how pissed I would be if someone tried sticking them in special ed eventhough they belong in mainstream simply over a diagnosis.

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

You are right, sorry if I offended!

Quoting weirdkids:

Just so you know... the title is special needs kids not special ed kids. Just because a child is special needs doesn't mean they belong in special ed. I have 2 special needs kids I'm school. They are both mainstream without an aide.

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

I have never seen a special ed child mainstreamed without an aide, so they actually get more attention than in a special ed classroom

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 31, 2012 at 4:36 PM

my son has an aide in the class.  It depends on the child.   the teachers attention is not divided if there is an aide.  If you dont like it, go to private school. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 31, 2012 at 4:37 PM
I did a combo of both... i was a special needs child.
ElleBee75
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 4:40 PM
They also have special needs kids in private & catholic schools with non special needs. I feel it depends on the child's needs. My dd had a few SN kids in her class all but one acted out. It was obvious he wasn't able to handle the every day of regular school. He probably would have done better in a smaller class with more one on one attention because there were no aides there to help him or the others.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
weirdkids
by Gold Member on Aug. 31, 2012 at 4:42 PM
It drives me nuts. My SS reads at a college level. He is 11. He went with his bm to her phyc class and he was the only person answering the professors questions correctly. LOL but yet he had to do a book report on a dictionary last year because he could only use books in the classroom(which are far below his level and bore him)

Quoting Anonymous:

It is a real shame that kids whose "special needs" are that they are intellectually gifted don't currently have the support that they need.  To me that is not right.

Quoting weirdkids:

I'm with ya. My special needs kids have above average intelligence but it seems that until high-school there are no advanced classes for kids like them and they are stuck in the slowdown "work on this till little Johnny gets it" classes.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think the same can be said for intellectually gifted children who are bored with the normal pace and are disruptive because of that.  I think that there has to be a better way of dividing the kids up so that the pace and structure of the classroom is appropriate for everyone.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 31, 2012 at 4:44 PM

It contributes greatly to the issues currently found in most classrooms.  

FitMom2025
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 4:46 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

I think ESL students contribute more to the decline in education than special needs children.

Yep.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)