Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

School vent

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies

My child goes to a charter school and she's in a k/1 multiage class.The studentshave the same teacher for bother kindergarten and first grade(as well as the same kindergarten students).

Well, Thursday they sent out an email stating that the class list was posted up. I found out from another parent in my daughter's class that her son had been switched from Ms. K's class to Ms. P's class. She found this out on Wednesday. I find out on Thursday that my child was not going to be in Ms. K's class.

I am so angry right now. Not even that she was switched teachers, but I had to find out from another parent that it even happened. My daughter has had some major changes this summer close family moved away and it has hit her hard and we've been pushing the fact that she'll be returning to Ms. K's class. It's been something that has calmed her down and has helped her cope with her loss.

If I had been given some form of notice(a month!) I could have prepared my daughter for the change, but now it's another "loss" for her.

I've sent e-mails and I've called and left messages with no response. School starts Tuesday and the office is closed on Monday. I am angry that they've waited so late in the summer to send out the class list, let alone not tell the parents about the changes. It's one of the reasons why I picked the school. I love her teacher and while I am sure that Ms. P is just as great, this lack of notice has really been a major frustration.

I really wished they had told us sooner so I could have given my daughter some preperation. Now she's upset because she's not going to be in Ms. K's class. Tuesday is going to be a nightmare if she's not switched. Ugh. Just some notice! God!

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 1, 2012 at 1:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 1, 2012 at 1:54 AM

What would you guys do?

jimi2626
by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 3:06 AM
That's really hard, I feel like if she sees you making a huge deal about her being switched and then it doesn't happen she will be very upset. Honesty, I can't see how they could possibly allow just you to switch classes and not start a huge "riot" with all the other parents, especially at a charter school. I would really focus on being positive about it and really pushing how fun her new class is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 1, 2012 at 9:41 AM

From my understanding, there's going to be a huge problem on Monday. I am not really mad that she was switched as much as I am upset that there was no notice at all. I have not been able to communicate with the school.  That's what's really frustrating me. 

My dd doesn't transition well from one routine to another. I am sure a lot of kids are the same way, but she seems to take the major changes super hard. In the last three weeks. She's had family-like friends move (the kids were like her siblings), her aunt, who stayed with us through the summer leave and her daddy do military stuff for several weeks and then start a new job. He's rarely home and that has caused some issues. So, now, after 3 months of pushing. "Yay. Soon you'll have Ms. K again and you'll see all of your other friends!" Especially after the move of her friend and now I find pretty much 4 days before school starts that there's a huge. Huge change.

A month ago they could have sent a generic email to all of the parents, "Due to changes in the school your child may not be placed in the same classroom as last year." That's it. I could have help prep her for the change.

This whole email of "The class list is up at the school" on a Thursday, but then not be open on Friday for concerns is frustrating to me. I am so mad at the school. I even called on Thursday and never received a call back. I sent an e-mail to the dean yesterday.

Quoting jimi2626:

That's really hard, I feel like if she sees you making a huge deal about her being switched and then it doesn't happen she will be very upset. Honesty, I can't see how they could possibly allow just you to switch classes and not start a huge "riot" with all the other parents, especially at a charter school. I would really focus on being positive about it and really pushing how fun her new class is.

iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on Sep. 1, 2012 at 9:43 AM
Kids are really resilient. She will be loving her new teacher in no time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AnjalisMommy07
by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 9:46 AM
The school might not have even known that this was going to happen. My DD's school had 2 kindy classes with 30 students each because they couldn't find another kindy teacher. They finally found one 1 week into school. Stuff happens.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 1, 2012 at 9:50 AM

I hope so. last year she spent an hour crying because she wanted to go back to preschool. She's really attached to this teacher.  she's had some social anxiety and that her teacher has been working on with her. I am really afraid that this is going to be a major source of frustration for DD too. I really don't want a 30 minute tantrum at the school because of the changes.

Maybe I'll drop her off and run :|

Quoting iamcafemom83:

Kids are really resilient. She will be loving her new teacher in no time.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 1, 2012 at 10:07 AM

It's the same teachers. Just a different dean for the school and a different office manager. This school isn't ran like normal public schools or like some other charter schools I've seen. This is a very parent and child focused school.

I chose the school for several reasons

Main reason : It's very child-oriented. The class sizes are small(12-14 students per a class room). The school really push for parent involvment and the parents have a ton of say in how the school is run.

They offer multi-age classrooms for k-5. So it's separated by k/1, 2/3, 4/5 and then middle school. It's expected that a kindergartener will stay with the same teacher and the same kindergarteners for two years and then move on to a new teacher for 2/3 grade.

But again, I am not nearly as upste about her having to switch as I am about the timing and the lack of communication from the school. If there were going to be changes then we should have been given a major notice from the school and then able to express our concerns. A vague email and then not being able to communicate with anyone at all was very unprofessional.

Of course, if given prior notice I would have asked if my daughter could remain with her teacher. If that wasn't possible then whatever. Like I said, I'd just be like, "well, that sucks." then to my daughter explain to her that she has a new teacher and be excited. Because that is exciting.

I shouldn't even had to find out about the changes from another parent either. The school should have kept us all up to date on changes that effect our children. :|

Quoting AnjalisMommy07:

The school might not have even known that this was going to happen. My DD's school had 2 kindy classes with 30 students each because they couldn't find another kindy teacher. They finally found one 1 week into school. Stuff happens.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 1, 2012 at 10:14 AM
On Tuesday go talk to the counselor for her grade. Explain your situation. They are usually very understanding. Maybe they will be able to accommodate her. I also agree that too much change at once can not be good for a child. Especially when it is negative. Good luck mama.
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Sep. 1, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Based on your post and your replies you're coddling an already insecure child.  This move may be the best thing for her!  She'll be crippled emotionally if you keep fixing all of the adversity that life comes with. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN