Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The child support amount isn't really fair

Posted by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 11:55 PM
  • 111 Replies
2 moms liked this

I was just going through my divorce documents that are getting some last minute touches before filing.  The lawyer had not put the child support amount in the documents the last time I saw them.

Anyway, my take home pay is about 6x that of my ex.  For 3 kids, the lawyer calculated that he should pay $1125/mo. $1125 is more than half of his take home pay!  The reason for the discrepancy is because so much of my income can't be counted as income due to the fact it is not earned income.  Plus, a lot of his "income" is from benefits because he is military. So, his income is inflated while mine is deflated.

I told him that I was going to ask for it to be reduced because that is just ridiculous considering my true income.  $1125 isn't near as much money to me as it is to him.  Plus, he is trying to get my oldest son to be able to go to Korea with him (to live, not vacation).  I don't want him to be broke while he is taking care of one of our children.  When I told him that I was going to ask for it to be reduced, he said to not worry about it because we have a kid turning 18 in about 9 months and that will drop it by almost $400.

I don't feel right taking that much when his income really isn't that high. I think I am still going to ask for it to be reduced.  

I think it is an unreasonable amount.  What do you think?


Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 11:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TrouserMouse
by Emerald Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 12:02 AM

BUMP!

myperfect4inok
by Silver Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 12:04 AM
I think it sounds fair that you ask for a reduction.
I would do the same thing you are.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CrimsonGrace
by Silver Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 12:04 AM
I agree with you, I think in a true income situation, the amount would be more fair. In your situation, I agree that it is not.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 5, 2012 at 12:04 AM
Ummm. I have the opposite problem. My ex pays $145/ month for 3 kids. He makes a lot more money than I do. Sorry I can't help.
firefly63701
by Silver Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 12:05 AM
1 mom liked this

That does seem high. But if they dont lower it could you just reimbuse him if you feel that strongly about it?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 5, 2012 at 12:05 AM
That's very reasonable and kind of you.
Jensep
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 12:05 AM
I have a friend who gets child support, the child is with mom about 60% of the time and with dad the other 40%. They split day care cost, clothes, sports and other stuff like that! My friend (the mom) gets $260 a week in child support! I think that's crazy! Her ex does make good money, but they really do split everything 50/50!
ff-princess
by Platinum Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 12:06 AM

I think it's very decent of you to ask to lower the amount, and if the court refuses I would just hand him cash back whenever child support got paid. 

numonestunar
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 12:07 AM
That's awesome that you'd do that. Kudos!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TrouserMouse
by Emerald Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 12:07 AM
2 moms liked this

I think I am going to ask them to reduce it to $800.  That sounds fair in my head for three kids.  It will leave him more actual cash. I know his bills are pretty much paid, but still.  I want him to be able to do things for and with the kids outside of child support.

Quoting CrimsonGrace:

I agree with you, I think in a true income situation, the amount would be more fair. In your situation, I agree that it is not.



Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)



Featured