Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Are "homeless" people getting dumber?

Posted by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 12:09 AM
  • 168 Replies

I was at McDonalds with my family tonight. The kids got Happy Meals and hubby and I each got a dollar sandwich. My 5 year old is really picky and did not finish his nuggets. He ate 1 of the 4.

As we were leaving this big (very overweight) guy approaches our van waves a dollar bill and says "yo yo can you give me $4 'cause I'm diabetic and I need to go to Subway to get a sandwich to fill me up."

Usually (after spending time in NYC for 3 years) when "street people" approach I ignore and they go away. Well, he was right at our van. So I say, "you have enough money to get a sandwich from here. we just had $1 sandwiches and you can too." So he says, "no, I'm a diabetic I can't eat here."

Okay, I give him an A for effort but bullshit.

So, I tell him, "I'm sorry but we are broke. we didn't even get Subway ourselves." He started getting even closer so I say, "here, if you are hungry you can have these chicken nuggets." (the 3 in the box that DS didn't eat)

He opened the box and put them all in his mouth. o_O So much for his diabetic theory. It got him to leave us alone though.

I dunno, I'm not sure if he was really dumb or really smart trying to get more money from us for his "diabetic dinner".

The point is I'm not stupid, I know diabetics can eat $1 sandwiches from McDonalds. I'm not saying he wasn't diabetic.

Do you have any stories involving homeless or street people?

by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 12:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PepperWillow
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 12:09 AM

eating

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 5, 2012 at 12:11 AM

My husband tried to hand a homeless guy a cold, unopened Gatorade when the guy was standing outside on the corner in 105 degree weather and the guy screamed at him, "Go fuck yourself, gimme money!"

PepperWillow
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 12:12 AM

eating

PepperWillow
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Wow, aggressive.

Quoting Anonymous:

My husband tried to hand a homeless guy a cold, unopened Gatorade when the guy was standing outside on the corner in 105 degree weather and the guy screamed at him, "Go fuck yourself, gimme money!"

nelliesmommy
by prettyandpierced on Sep. 5, 2012 at 12:16 AM
Smh

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
justpeachy71904
by peachy on Sep. 5, 2012 at 12:18 AM
I do. After my alcoholic father kicked my diabetic mother out... She was homeless for 6 years
sometimes resorting to eating out of dumpsters. She sometimes had to share insulin needles to survive. mother don't judge homeless, you don't know their story
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TiffanyRose06
by Queso<3 on Sep. 5, 2012 at 12:18 AM

We gave a homeless guy a burger because we had an extra one and were full, he was thankful.

QU33NB33_213
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 12:18 AM
2 moms liked this
I see em a lot. Unfortunatly always around a walmart. (Not blaming them but that's where I see them). Recently a lady walked up to me & handed me a card. It said "hello I am deaf. I am handing out these free cards but if you would like to donate a dollar or 2 so I may eat it would be greatly appreciated" on the back was the ASL alphabet. I handed her $3 cause I strongly believe in karma & I'm trying to do a good deed. So I handed it to her & she SAID thank you! I looked at her & she turn & ran. @_@
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bree0922
by Silver Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 12:19 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't know about dumber, but they sure are getting more greedy!
I remember about 10 years ago when I'd give food to the homeless, they seemed at least a little bit grateful... Now, when I offer food (I don't ever give money), I just get scoffed at.

A few weeks ago, I made a bunch of bagged lunches for the homeless (pb&j sandwiches, chips and a fruit) and one woman straight up asked me, "what kind of sandwich is it?" I said, "pb&j" and she had the nerve to say, "ew. Do you have anything else? I don't like peanut butter."

WTF?? I spent MY money and my time doing something nice and that's how she treats my favor? Pfft.. ugh! It made me sooo mad!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GirlWSemiAuto
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 12:22 AM
2 moms liked this
I've never had an issue with the homeless. DS and I used to carry juice boxes and granola bars in the car to hand out instead of money. We got nothing but gratitude in return.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)