Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Our Wal-Mart was just upgraded to  super Wal-Mart about a month ago. My question is should I have any reason to be skeptical about these drumsticks I'm eating, or any future roast I may buy? Or should I stick with the grocery store. It tastes like real meat, so I'm hoping it is. On a side note, I boycotted Maple Leaf a few years ago.

by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 10:23 PM
Replies (51-60):
schatzi869
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 10:40 PM
We don't buy any meat from walmart because of the animal abuse of their suppliers. We rarely go there at all anymore.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 5, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Probably from the fact that the state of Maryland passed a law which was later taken down, but pretty much was aimed at WalMart by making them provide benefits for their employees.  (It applied to Target and Kmart/sears too, but everyone assumed it was aimed at WalMart.)   There also was a study done in UC Berkley in 2004 that concluded:

• Reliance by Wal-Mart workers on public assistance programs in California comes at a cost to the taxpayers of an estimated $86 million annually; this is comprised of $32 million in health related expenses and $54 million in other assistance.

• The families of Wal-Mart employees in California utilize an estimated 40 percent more in taxpayer-funded health care than the average for families of all large retail employees.

• The families of Wal-Mart employees use an estimated 38 percent more in other (non-health care) public assistance programs (such as food stamps, Earned Income Tax Credit, subsidized school lunches, and subsidized housing) than the average for families of all large retail employees.

• If other large California retailers adopted Wal-Mart’s wage and benefits standards, it would cost taxpayers an additional $410 million a year in public assistance to employees.

http://www.dsausa.org/lowwage/walmart/2004/walmart%20study.html

Quoting Anonymous:

Where are you getting that from?! I've worked for Walmart for 4 years in 2 stores. It's not like that.

Quoting Roxygurl:

They pay their workers low wages. They encourage employees to sign up for government help. They have as many employees as possible that are considered part time so they don't have to pay benefits like health insurance.

Quoting Anonymous:

Why?

Quoting Roxygurl:

The food is fine. I chose to shop elsewhere because I don't agree with walmarts business practices.

Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 10:41 PM
I can't remember my offical title (this was 7 years ago) but I would've been working in the woman's department. I went and took a drug test and a few days later they offered me the job and told me the pay. I was on unemployment benefits at the time and I would've been making less working for Walmart than I was bringing in from unemployment so I had to turn the job down.

Quoting Anonymous:

What were they hiring you for? Sales associate?

Quoting Roxygurl:

I was hired at Walmart but turned it down because of everything I mentioned. They said they were only paying minimum wage and that I couldn't work 40 hours because they don't hire full time employees.

Quoting Anonymous:

Where are you getting that from?! I've worked for Walmart for 4 years in 2 stores. It's not like that.

Quoting Roxygurl:

They pay their workers low wages. They encourage employees to sign up for government help. They have as many employees as possible that are considered part time so they don't have to pay benefits like health insurance.

Quoting Anonymous:

Why?

Quoting Roxygurl:

The food is fine. I chose to shop elsewhere because I don't agree with walmarts business practices.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anjones09
by Ash on Sep. 5, 2012 at 10:41 PM
I buy everything there. I've never had issues with meats, or produce. I do however like to get my produce locally, but if they don't have what I want, I'll get it from Walmart. Not too many choices in my area.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ilovemykids323
by Platinum Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 10:43 PM

I dont buy meat or "fresh" fruits and veggies there but any of the boxed and canned stuff sure. Walmart is far from us though so i mainly stick to my grocery store and i'm fine with that. costs the same.

lauraschatz
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 10:43 PM
the beef is god awful
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IPutThemFirst
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 10:43 PM

I have been shopping at walmart for years and I prefer their store mainly because of the prices,I can get seventy dollars worth of food,cleaning supplies and maybe a shirt for me and the kids,that would be 4 or 5 bags of groceries,where as at a Grocery Store it would cost me well over seventy dollars for 5 bags of food,walmart helps since i get a hundred dollars a week,I walk out of walmart with over fourty dollars left over from shopping trips some times it's nice to have extra $.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 5, 2012 at 10:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Pin a rose on your nose...

Quoting Lettybug:

if its not from wholefoods and organic i dont buy or eat it

1crazymomx1
by Silver Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 10:45 PM

I do not buy meat, produce, and deli items from there.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 5, 2012 at 10:45 PM
Yeah sales associates make minimum and it's not a full time position. Almost any other position has a pay differential. And only dept managers, zms,csm, and upper management are full time. Unless you're management it's a part time position. And if you are part time you get benefits after a year verses 6 months for full time. Walmart is actually a really good company to work for.

Quoting Roxygurl:

I can't remember my offical title (this was 7 years ago) but I would've been working in the woman's department. I went and took a drug test and a few days later they offered me the job and told me the pay. I was on unemployment benefits at the time and I would've been making less working for Walmart than I was bringing in from unemployment so I had to turn the job down.

Quoting Anonymous:

What were they hiring you for? Sales associate?

Quoting Roxygurl:

I was hired at Walmart but turned it down because of everything I mentioned. They said they were only paying minimum wage and that I couldn't work 40 hours because they don't hire full time employees.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Roxygurl:

Quoting Anonymous:

Why?

Quoting Roxygurl:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)