Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Taking away food as punishment

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My 5 year old came home today with the snack she bought at school. When I asked her why didn't she eat it at school she told me she got into trouble for talking too much and was told to just bring it home. I do not take away food as punishment for anything. I just don't think it's right. I'd rather her just go to time out or some other form of punishment. Would you say something to the teacher?

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:03 PM
Replies (31-40):
littlemonaghan
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:23 PM

yes I would. Whitholding food should never be a punishment

layawatling
by Laya on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:24 PM

I would have a major problem with that. I would be definately talking to the teacher as well as the principal.

AnnaNonamus
by Spanky Pants :) on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Depends- if she was talking through snack time, and not eating when she should have, then the teacher had the right to tell her time was up. It may not have been a punishment, per say. It may have just been that she didn't eat it during the designated time, because she was talking.

I help out in my DD's school, and even now in 5th grade, they do snack time still. However, snack time is time to eat, not spent time socializing- when snack time is over, all food is required to be put away. Since 3rd grade, though, snack time is done during the time frame of working on school work.

Now, if the teacher took away snack, and made her sit there and watch as other children ate, then yes, I'd be mad.

LovingSAHMommy
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Yes, I would. A kid shouldnt be made to be hungry as punishment.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:26 PM
The thing is OP has made it seem it was taken away and ranted and raved, when the only fact stated was the the child was asked to put it away because she was talking.

Quoting lovinmykiddo07:

If she didn't finish by the time snack was over, yes.

I read it as the teacher taking it away before snack was over. Sorry if I misunderstood. I just described what OUR school does. 

Quoting Anonymous:

So you would take it away...ie have her put it in her bookbag like in OP case.

Maybe the teacher has a different philosophy than you. Maybe the class had a quiet snack as puishment due to something else.
Quoting lovinmykiddo07:

I do not think food should be taken away as punishment. We actually encourage kids to talk during snack time, to discuss days events, whats going on in their lives, nutritional facts about food, ect. But we do encourage them to finish snack, too. If she hadn't finished snack because she did not want to stop talking, then that is her own fault & maybe in the future she will learn to eat & then talk, or space them out evenly. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Answer both then.

Quoting lovinmykiddo07:

It depends.

Was the food taken from her for talking?

Or did she just not finish it during snack time because she was talking?

Quoting Anonymous:

What should have been done? When should the child ate her snack?

Quoting lovinmykiddo07:

Wow.. I'd be talking to the teacher & principal about that one. Our school is NOT allowed to withhold food.

wonderwomanT08
by Ruby Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Working with children in the school district and as a licensed child care provider its not only common knowledge that using food as a punishment is wrong its against our state rules and policies
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovinmykiddo07
by Ruby Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Still-if it were my kid, & I only had those facts stated, I'd call the teacher & find out exactly what happened & go from there. 

Quoting Anonymous:

The thing is OP has made it seem it was taken away and ranted and raved, when the only fact stated was the the child was asked to put it away because she was talking.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:36 PM
Why?

Quoting lovinmykiddo07:

Still-if it were my kid, & I only had those facts stated, I'd call the teacher & find out exactly what happened & go from there. 

Quoting Anonymous:

lovinmykiddo07
by Ruby Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Because if it were my child, and his teacher took his food away during snack time, I'd be pissed. In my book, that is NOT okay, schools are not supposed to withold food as a punishment. 

If my kid had to put his snack away because snack time was over & he wasn't finished, then I'd talk to him about making sure to finish his snack. Or at least let him know if he doesn't finish his snack he won't be getting anything else until dinner time. Which will more than likely encourage him to eat when its time to eat. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Why?

Quoting lovinmykiddo07:

Quoting Anonymous:

coreilly89
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Yes. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN