Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Taking away food as punishment

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 49 Replies

My 5 year old came home today with the snack she bought at school. When I asked her why didn't she eat it at school she told me she got into trouble for talking too much and was told to just bring it home. I do not take away food as punishment for anything. I just don't think it's right. I'd rather her just go to time out or some other form of punishment. Would you say something to the teacher?

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
taylamill
by Tayla on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:04 PM
Oh yeah. That is beyond wrong. Take time away from recess something but not that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovinmyboys...
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:05 PM
Yes...absolutely. That should never be a form of punishment.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:05 PM
I would talk to the teacher. Never withhold food as punishment. I had it happen to me as a kid and I will never do it to mine.
she_walk_softly
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Was it that she was talking too much at lunch, so she did not have time to eat it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Traceyssel
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:06 PM
Why not take away food? I don't have older kids so I'm curious
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
svolkov
by Emerald Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:06 PM
For many reasons its wrong...unless she was throwing or being inappropriate with her food its not ok at all. Consequences should be immediate and fit the behavior. Young kids especially need that late day snack to regulate blood sugars as well as keep energy up. I'd call the teacher and the principal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:06 PM
2 moms liked this

Ok, it's just a friggin snack.  The kid isn't going to starve.  Let it be.

tennisgal
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:07 PM
3 moms liked this

no i wouldn't say anything to the teacher. tell your daughter not to talk next time. you may not agree with it, but its not unfair either. it also wasn't her lunch so she didn't miss a meal.

areyouatroll
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Yup. Kick that teachers teeth in.

Or politely tell her that is unacceptable.

Either way, either way...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:08 PM
2 moms liked this
Maybe teach your daughter to follow the rules? Instead of blaming the teacher for having to punish her?

Quoting Anonymous:

My 5 year old came home today with the snack she bought at school. When I asked her why didn't she eat it at school she told me she got into trouble for talking too much and was told to just bring it home. I do not take away food as punishment for anything. I just don't think it's right. I'd rather her just go to time out or some other form of punishment. Would you say something to the teacher?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)