Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Taking away food as punishment

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My 5 year old came home today with the snack she bought at school. When I asked her why didn't she eat it at school she told me she got into trouble for talking too much and was told to just bring it home. I do not take away food as punishment for anything. I just don't think it's right. I'd rather her just go to time out or some other form of punishment. Would you say something to the teacher?

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:03 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:08 PM
2 moms liked this
It wasn't taken away. Snack time is not whenever you decide you are done visiting with friends and decide to eat. Perhaps she talked all through snack time.
lovinmykiddo07
by Ruby Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Wow.. I'd be talking to the teacher & principal about that one. Our school is NOT allowed to withhold food.

Candi_gal
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:10 PM
1 mom liked this
That is what I was thinking

Quoting she_walk_softly:

Was it that she was talking too much at lunch, so she did not have time to eat it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kmjmlj
by Silver Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:11 PM
2 moms liked this
If it was lunch I'd be causing a scene at school. A snack no because there had to be a good reason to have it taken away.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hyper_bunny
by Silver Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:11 PM

I would definitely talk to the teacher. That is absolutely unacceptable if it were my son. I understand the whole punishment thing but that is not appropriate. 

KrissyKC
by Platinum Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:11 PM
2 moms liked this

If she talked through snack time and never opened her snack, then yeah, she loses the opportunity to eat.

My 4 yr old was told to stop eating with her hands (mashed potatoes and coleslaw) she had eaten about 60% of her plate when she refused to listen, so I took it away.

She isn't going to starve on 60% of what I put in front of her, and guess what?   The next time she used her utensils to the best of her 4 yr old ability.

Kaelaasmom
by Katie on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:11 PM

I would talk to the teacher, but calmly. If your daughter talked all through snack time, she should not have been given extra time to eat. On the other hand, if there was still time to eat, and she wasn't allowed to eat, I would be pissed.

CafeMom Tickers
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:12 PM
2 moms liked this
I think too many parents try to micromanage their kids teachers. If you can't handle the teachers methods (provided your child isn't getting hurt somehow) maybe you should homeschool.
TheMrs407
by Ruby Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:12 PM
This. It was snack too right? Did she get lunch?

Quoting Candi_gal:

That is what I was thinking

Quoting she_walk_softly:

Was it that she was talking too much at lunch, so she did not have time to eat it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AllofFive19
by Ruby Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:12 PM

You can let your child follow rules, accept consequences, AND let the adult in charge know that the consequence was inappropriate for the behavior. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Maybe teach your daughter to follow the rules? Instead of blaming the teacher for having to punish her?

Quoting Anonymous:

My 5 year old came home today with the snack she bought at school. When I asked her why didn't she eat it at school she told me she got into trouble for talking too much and was told to just bring it home. I do not take away food as punishment for anything. I just don't think it's right. I'd rather her just go to time out or some other form of punishment. Would you say something to the teacher?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured